Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 back from Briley

RobertDFranks

Took a new M2 to Briley for their 3 gun package. Package consisted of, forcing cone, trigger job, lifter extension, opening loading port, action work, front and rear sights, extension tube, mag follower & spring, bolt handle, cut barrel, and Briley chokes.

what exactly does Briley do to the forcing cone?

what does the trigger job and action work consist of, i.e. what was the trigger before and after?

cost?

I'm going to do my best to explain my recollection. The forcing cone is lengthened and/or the angle of the cone is modified to alter the compression of the shot as it leaves the chamber and moves down the barrel towards the choke. What they actually do, I don't know, my guess is somewhat of their trade secret of sorts - but just a guess. But I can say this, looking down the barrel of the shotgun - off the receiver with the chamber held up to a light - an unaltered barrel looks different towards the chamber end when compared to the barrel that Briley worked on. As for the action job and trigger, I can best explain it like this: original - spongy, after Briley work - crisp. I cannot say whether Briley lightend the trigger pull becuase I most noticed the change from spongy to crisp and I did not ask about lightend trigger. It was like Christmas morning at the time and all I wanted to do was run out and go shoot it. I bought the whole package - which included the items mentioned in the post - so I don't know what the a la carte costs are. These costs might be up on their website or they should explain them to you when you call.

I'm looking to get a choke for my M2 ... which Briley do ya'll recommend?

Look at their webpage for 'understanding shotgun chokes' and their "sporting clays chart" for what distance and type of shot pattern you want. I say that not to be a jerk and unhelpful, but it depends on what range your going to shoot. They generally 'assign' a distance to the choke - chokes are like golf clubs - you might get it there with an 8 but a 6 could have been a little less nerve-racking and using a 3 wood puts you 30+ yds past the pin.

Also - with the transition to slugs, you don't want to get a choke too constricted or you can damage it with repeated wear.

Give them a call and they will steer you where you want to be.

I have skeet all the way to improved mod but have used the skeet or improved cylinder the most when I shoot my gun.