Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heat shield on shotgun barrel?

bkoenig

Does anyone run one? I have an aversion to hanging extra stuff off my guns unless it's really necessary, but last weekend it was close to 100 degrees at the match I attended. My 930 sat in the sun for about 30 minutes before I shot a fast hoser stage, and after dumping 21 rounds through it I burned the crap out of my hand when I accidentally touched the barrel. One of the other guys in my squad burned himself so bad that he blistered 3 fingers. I got smart on the next stage and kept the barrel covered with a gun sock until it was my turn, but now I'm seriously considering a heat shield. I did a little googling and found that there are some fiberglass ones available. They might not be as strong as a sheet metal one, but I bet they would soak up a lot less heat.

Edited by bkoenig

Does anyone run one? I have an aversion to hanging extra stuff off my guns unless it's really necessary, but last weekend it was close to 100 degrees at the match I attended. My 930 sat in the sun for about 30 minutes before I shot a fast hoser stage, and after dumping 21 rounds through it I burned the crap out of my hand when I accidentally touched the barrel. One of the other guys in my squad burned himself so bad that he blistered 3 fingers. I got smart on the next stage and kept the barrel covered with a gun sock until it was my turn, but now I'm seriously considering a heat shield. I did a little googling and found that there are some fiberglass ones available. They might not be as strong as a sheet metal one, but I bet they would soak up a lot less heat.

I definitely noticed my 930 roasting after a couple quick bursts... However, I just used it as a training exercise for myself :)(learn will quick to not touch hot things)

My mossberg 590 came with a heat shield, and I have fielded a couple disparaging questions about it, but it is very functional esp as I strong hand reload.

I also reload strong hand, although I've been meaning to start working on weak hand. That alone makes it much easier for me to burn myself.

• 2 months later...