Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slipped sear spring?

lumpygravy

I was practicing on a plate rack and mid string, the trigger locked up. I unloaded and cleared the gun and inspected the inside through the ejection port. Nothing apparent but when I released the slide forward, the trigger still would not release.

Pulled the slide off and found that the disconnector had not reset. I stuck my finger into the grip and manually slid the disco to the up position and the trigger now released the hammer. I suspected a problem with the sear spring, reassembled everything and called it a day. I should mention I have one of the Clark four finger sear springs.

When I got home I disassembled and did indeed find that the left middle finger of the sear spring had slipped off of the disco to the left (as viewed from the backstrap). This is the first time this has ever happened to me on any of my 1911 pattern guns. This particular gun has better than 35-40K rounds through it with many more dry fire cycles.

Questions for the forum:

1] ever have this happen to you?

2] any tips of tricks for ensuring that this doesn't happen again?

I have reassembled and the done dry functions and all appears to be back to normal.

Thanks Benoverse!

I have had the disco finger of a Clark 4 finger spring crack, and the disconnector would no longer reset. Did not know the finger up the grip trick. Had to replace the spring.

I have had the disco finger of a Clark 4 finger spring crack, and the disconnector would no longer reset. Did not know the finger up the grip trick. Had to replace the spring.

Well, broke or slipped, the finger in the grip only makes it a single shooter :roflol:

I need to take a closer look at the sping. I wonder if over time that leg may have deformed so that it isn't as rigid as before. This might lead to a crack like you experienced.

Thanks! :cheers: