Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How light do you like your production trigger?

joedodge

...When I talked to Robbie the discussion he had was around people who wanted to be able to feel the reset in order to then break their second shot rather than either slapping the trigger or releasing to a predetermined distance. His point was that unlike when we are sitting on our couch in the living room, once the buzzer goes off very, very few people can actually ride the reset. (There was some testing around this but I can't find it.) He didn't talk about the distance of the reset.

IIRC, Robbie is usually a trigger "slapper", and hardly rides the trigger at all. While the length of travel for the reset may still matter, I think it is a smaller issue if your finger actually comes off the trigger face between shots.

When I first got my G34 to shoot in production I put a Ghost Rocket 3.5# connector in it. It still has the shortest reset of any trigger I've tried in a glock with the exception of one single stage trigger in a glock setup for limited. To me, the other triggers out there may be lighter but the reset is a bit longer and doesn't feel as positive. I have shot it enough to like the positive pressure against my trigger finger.

I started shooting my G17 in USPSA matches in preparation for the local GSSF match almost a month ago. This gun was a bought used and had several thousand rounds through it. I did a $0.05 trigger job on it (smoothed everything up) and even before that it was a really smooth trigger. If I had to guess I'd say it's in the high 4 to 5lb range and the reset is noticably longer. That being said, in all the practice sessions, and 2-3 USPSA matches I shot with it, I only short stroked it three times and that was when I really turned the afterburners on.

I like the positive reset I get and pressure on the trigger finger, but I don't like how mushy the last stage is in the Rocket or Glock 3.5# connectors. I've gotten used to them, but I like the cleaner break of the standard G17 trigger... that said, I'm keeping the Rocket connector in for the reset :D I've gotten used to shooting it that way and all the other triggers I've tried still have a little give to them.

I'm thinking about playing with the springs and trying to get it a little lighter... but at the same time, I've read a lot of problems cropping up from doing that. Might be better for me to just leave well enough alone and just shoot. I'm still contemplating...