Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sort your brass!

lvipscshooter

I learned the hard way to make sure my once fired and practice brass do not get mixed up. I had a case separate in the chamber leaving a "ring", part brass, part jacket. This kept the gun from going into battery. The result of this happening 14 rounds in to a 32 round stage???? ZERO on a 160 point stage at a major match.

post-20692-0-01928400-1309152161_thumb.j

I learned the hard way to make sure my once fired and practice brass do not get mixed up. I had a case separate in the chamber leaving a "ring", part brass, part jacket. This kept the gun from going into battery. The result of this happening 14 rounds in to a 32 round stage???? ZERO on a 160 point stage at a major match.

Wow, that is enough to ruin your day! I wonder why it is that kind of thing never happens during a live fire practice session.

How did you recover, and run, on the next stage?

Ouch!

I guess the bright side is that your gun didn't go into battery. It could have been really messy if another round went off that wasn't fully chambered or something was blocking the breech. I'll admit that all my brass comes from one big bucket. I might have to rethink that.

Wow, that is enough to ruin your day! I wonder why it is that kind of thing never happens during a live fire practice session.

How did you recover, and run, on the next stage?

Well after I got over being mad about the zero, I brought out the backup gun and proceeded to lay down a top 10 run on the next stage. That says alot about investing in a backup if you are going to be traveling to OOT matches. I was able to put the gun away and not have to think about it, at least until they posted scores :)

Holy crap, what caliber was that, and how many times was that case loaded?

It is 38 SC and the brass is out of my practice stock. Loaded probably 4 times. I will keep them around for practice until the primers fall out easily

wow, that's spooky for brass only loaded 4 times. Guessing that the blown case was Starline? I was planning on using my older brass at the Nats (shooting 38SC in Open) since its a lost brass match, but now I'll have to reconsider and maybe buy some new stuff. I dont like to think about leaving that expensive brass on the ground, but a zeroed stage cause of shitty brass is messed up. Used to getting back 90% of my SC brass at locals and practice, and my .40 brass is free from my PD range

If the brass gets a little wet at some point sometimes there will be some dark spots/tarnish near the rim. I have had a few .40's blowout on me, but since I've been keeping a close eye on all the brass I've been in the clear.