Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet preference

The other night I was testing out a new to me Beretta 92FS. It is an unusual model: standard FS operating system, full length slide, full size frame. But, it has a 4.5 barrel and marked STAINLESS on the nose of the slide. Finish is blue/black. With some leftover reloads and factory RNs and HPs it was shooting pretty close to POA and tight groups, as I expected. But with my current load, Berry's 124gr. HP with 4.2 VV N320 It went shotgun on me with some key-holing. My old CZ is OK with this load and my newer HK P-30 is unaffected. The Beretta just didn't seem to like it. Is it not uncommon for a particular gun to so reject one kind of bullet? I do have some Zero's and some Precision Delta's to try.

I don't reload.

But I shoot CCI Blazer Aluminum 115gr, Federal Orange Box FMJ from Wal-Mart (115gr) and WWB 115 grain - all work and hit right where I aim. 124 gr WWB NATO is the same.

For JHP - I shoot 124gr (non +p) Gold Dot or 124gr Hydrashok.

I have eight Beretta 92s. No issues with any

Plated bullets have a reputation for not being accurate. I've shot some and great care is need to get them just right, but the rifling in your gun may be cutting thru the thin plating and causing issues where the old CZ has well worn or smaller lans. Guns do seem to prefer one bullet over another. The Zero is an excellent bullet and N320 is great powder.

I don't reload.

But I shoot CCI Blazer Aluminum 115gr, Federal Orange Box FMJ from Wal-Mart (115gr) and WWB 115 grain - all work and hit right where I aim. 124 gr WWB NATO is the same.

For JHP - I shoot 124gr (non +p) Gold Dot or 124gr Hydrashok.

I have eight Beretta 92s. No issues with any

I have some WWB and some 124gr. NATO to run through it. Despite being a used gun I don't think it was used much, maybe not even broken in.