Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quickload data

sauza45

I am testing different loads in the 40sw and was wondering if anyone has quickload to see what the pressure of each load is?

Load 1

Montana gold 180jhp

5.1 N320

1.200 oal

.421 crimp

winchester small rifle primers

Load 2

Montana gold 180jhp

5.2 N320

1.220 oal

.421 crimp

winchester small rifle primers

The only difference in the 2 loads is the powder it is .1 gr more to keep the same power factor becouse the oal is .020 longer between the 2

That is what the Brazos recommends in his guns. He also says to use 1.220 oal. After about 18,000 round and no trouble

I cant complain. I was just wondering about the pressure diffrence between the 2 rounds, but I guess nobody has the quickload program to compair

Edited by sauza45

The only thing I have to go by is Zero 180 JHP bullets in my data the difference between the two is

5.1 @ 1.200 is about 31202 psi and 1007 fps at 70*

5.2 @ 1.220 is about 30296 psi and 1007 fps at 70*

I show the same fps for both loads this will very for lot to lot of power and temp of ammo,Quick Load only gets you in the ball park and lets you know how the power may react to difference oal. you can't pick the type of primer in that program. The best thing is to use a Chrony. Bob at Brazos know what works best in his guns he has done a lot of testing for you. I use rifle primers also that way I have to only buy one type of primer.

Thanks for the info I have done chrono work on both loads and they both are at 171-172 PF. Brazos guns have been great, so much so I ordered an Open gun.

I was just testing a new batch of powder and was playing with the oal. I have shoot several thousand rounds of each oal and both run 100%. I was just wondering

about the pressure difference in the 2. I will stay with the 1.220 that Brazos list for his gun.

Thanks for you help

Edited by sauza45