Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Here I Come Again!

Duane Thomas

The last IDPA match I fired was the (if memory serves me correctly, 1999) Washington State IDPA Championships. (Came in 5th at the match and was state champion in my class, whee-hoo.) Then the club at which I was shooting quit doing IDPA matches, let its IDPA membership expire, I let my own IDPA membership lapse, too. At the time I had Expert ratings in SSP and ESP.

Well now I've learned that a local club is running IDPA matches. This coming Saturday I'm going to be firing my first IDPA match in two or three years. I'm kind of excited. It's going to be absolutely fascinating for me to see how the sport has evolved, and how the shooters' skill levels have changed, while I've been away. I may write an article on this topic, "IDPA Revisited."

Oh, P.S.

I don't believe (and I could stand to be corrected on this, but I don't think I'm wrong) there has been a Washington State IDPA Championships since the one I fired, but there's a serious rumor going around there will be one next year. I'll be there.

• 1 month later...

Well, it took me awhile to get out there, but this past Saturday I fired my first IDPA match in three years. I was lucky enough to win the match. One of the guys I beat - and hold on, I can barely believe this myself - was an IPSC Grand Master/IDPA Master. It's not very often you get to wax one of those guys. I can only theorize he racked up a TON of procedural penalties because there's no way on earth I outshot him.

The day after that I shot an IPSC match at another club. I came in second in L10 with a score 91.**% of the 1st place guy. Of course that's a lot less impressive than it sounds when you know there were only four L10 shooters at the match!

It seems that even after three years away from the sport I'm still a better IDPA shooter than I am an IPSC shooter.