Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you adjust DA revolver pull on S&W?

InTheBlack

After smoothing the rebound slide area & lightening the rebound spring, what is it that makes the DA pull lighter? Other than backing off the strain screw?

Obviously getting the hand-off right makes the pull smoother, but is there anything else that can get a 9-plus pound DA down a couple of pounds?

Reduced power mainspring will work wonders. Try the Black Magic kit that is mentioned in the revolver section, or Wolff's kit.

I put a reduced power rebound spring in and a regular power mainspring (a reduced power mainspring was too light) and kept backing off the strain screw untill the gun misfires. Then turn the strainscrew back in a half turn. Test the gun to ensure no misfires there. Then count how many revolutions it takes to fully seat the strain screw "in". Now figure out how many thousandths deeper each full turn of the screw seats it. Take that number times the number of revolutions the full seating depth, and that is how many thousandths to file off the strain screw. Now you should have a strian screw the fully seats, and is as short as what will allow your gun to work 100% of the time.

FWIW - My 686+ is running 7.5 lbs. DA and is 100% with Winchester primers.

Ray C.

Buy Jerry's Trigger Job video and his spring kit. With a little work, you should be able to get DA pull down to 7# with total reliablity, anything less than 7#, I'd highly recommend sending it to someone who can do it right.

I find the Wolff Reduced Power ribbed mainspring drops the pull to about 7# along with a nice polish/grease job and lightened RB spring. The ribbed design mainspring will give about a pound lighter DA pull (with the same striking force) compared to backing off the strain screw on the stock spring.

I put the ribbed mainspring in at the same time as the 13 lb rebound spring & polishing. SA is about 4 oz light (need 2 1/2 lbs) so I'll put a 14 lb rebound in. I still had to back off the strain screw to achieve something over 9 lbs DA pull.