Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight tracking

Dani

Ok guys, I need some advice, i have allways problems with second fast shots, or multiple fast shots (bill drill), the first shot is centered and the following ones are allways higher and higher, I see the front sight that is not returning as low as it should. It stays high.

I thought it was too much wrists tension, or griping too hard, but i tryed very relaxed and happened anyway.

So I noticed that if I rotate my elbows just a little upward, the muzzle goes down and the front sight tracks exactly the same way every shot and come as low as it should. (Brian sais to let your body do the work !!).

But the proble is that with this arms position i'm felling some tension on my shoulders and tryceps.

So the question is, the tension will desapear when i get used to the new position?, or, should i go back to the old position and try to solve the sight tracking in a different way?

Thanks

Have you done the timing drill which involves shooting into the berm and just watching the gun with no target?

I too had issues with second shot placement early this year, and shooting with a dot worked it out for me.

Instead of sight picture, target, sight picture, target, my eyes learned to see the target clearly, the sight picture correctly, and the slide in recoil at the same time. Using a dot makes this easier to learn IMO, and it transfers to irons very well for me.

Now the trigger finger is hard wired to the slide and sights, just waiting for them to get their act together.

As for the elbows, mine are fairly high, I guess. The tension may just be a "new" sensation. If the sights are doing what you want them to, I'd be inclined to stick with it.

That's the best I can do...I'm sure Brian can make it clearer...

SA

(Edited by Steve Anderson at 5:49 am on Jan. 31, 2003)

Steve, thanks for your reply.

Yes, I did the timing drill, I saw really clear the sight movement, and that way was how i noticed that the sight didn't fully return, with the new position this is not a problem.

The problem now is only "tension" on shoulders and tryceps (I also believe that the tension is because is something new), also the feeling of the trigger finger is different. But so far this is the only way I found to "correct" the sight problem.

Matt Burkett gave me the following advice regarding elbow position:

Shoot a magazine while slowly rotating your elbows from 'down' to 'up' -(Or is it 'in' to 'out'?) and watch the recoil pattern of the pistol change.

It was fairly obvious when I did it that there is (for me, anyway) a 'right' spot and several 'wrong' spots.

FWIW

Larry

Dani,

Duane and DT's answers pretty much nailed it - Experiment for yourself and use what works best. If you feel like you are creating excess tension - decide whether that is a problem or not based on its effect on your actual shooting.

be