Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Critique

Tim/GA

New as match director for the local club (4th match yesterday) and pretty new to stage design. I am attaching 3 stages from yesterday's match and would appreciate critique and suggestions. And of course any blatant screw ups! Everyone seemed to enjoy the match and had good things to say about the stages, but would like some outside opinions for future reference. A little background- we run 5 stages with 2 narrow bays, 2 a bit larger and the largest being maybe 25yds wide by 20yds deep. Also, since the match closes down the whole club we cannot setup until the morning of the match. Other 2 stages were a classifier and a larger 32 round field course.

I hate zebras- bay 2.pdf

Keep moving- bay 4.pdf

What Star- bay 5.pdf

New as match director for the local club (4th match yesterday) and pretty new to stage design. I am attaching 3 stages from yesterday's match and would appreciate critique and suggestions. And of course any blatant screw ups! Everyone seemed to enjoy the match and had good things to say about the stages, but would like some outside opinions for future reference. A little background- we run 5 stages with 2 narrow bays, 2 a bit larger and the largest being maybe 25yds wide by 20yds deep. Also, since the match closes down the whole club we cannot setup until the morning of the match. Other 2 stages were a classifier and a larger 32 round field course.

I hate zebras- bay 2.pdf

Keep moving- bay 4.pdf

What Star- bay 5.pdf

I think the Zebra stage kind of over did it with the hard cover, which essentially slow you down constantly across the stage, it would be more difficult if mixed with open targets where the hard cover act like speed bumps.

The star stage needs more excitment or some movement, some cross activated swingers or something. The wall slows you down and makes everyone shoot it the same, not exactly USPSA shootem as you see'em. Raises the difficulty for the novice shooter but for a good shooter nope and it puts the stem of the prop in harms way. Move it out to about 25 yards that raises the difficulty!

On the set up thing, we keep most of the stuff on trailers, the set up crew gets there a 8 am and we have 5, well 4 complex stages and a classifier set up by 9 to 9:30. The key is 8 to 10 workers organized with a list of what to put on the trailers, and for each bay a list of what is needed, 8 target stands, 16 sticks, 2 small pp, 1 large pp, 3 walls 1 with port, 1 start box, 1 polish plate rack etc. Everyone works on the unload with two trailers, then we split up 2 to a stage and work till its done. Each stage has a bucket with a hammer, stapler, staples, tape, black paint, white paint, the tools needed to set up a stage, and to paint steel and hard cover. One bucket has a tape measure for setting up classifiers. We do use heavy rope a lot for fault lines, but have lots of wood fault lines as well 2x2.

I was about to make the same comment as CocoBolo about the "What Star", as well as warn about a lot of reshoots due to REF, but on re-reading the stage description, the wall is actually soft cover.

Makes for a nice variation for people who are used to seeing bare stars, and it's a much easier challenge than "Evil Death Star".

Thanks for the comments, I agree about stand and shoot and stay from it most times, even in the small bays- but at times it just has to be. Realize that those two small bays are barely wide enough to set up 1 steel challenge stage in each. Smoke and Hope goes from one side to the other in the bay. I usually have either a short move left or right and forward or back but sometimes you just have to go with what you have.

On the zebra stage I actually was going for the slow/fast/slow/fast- may have overdone it a but but it also was a bit of a memory stage since the far targets could be taken from various places and many had extra shots and some FTEs.

Turned out the covered star was a lot of fun and you could hear the squads laughing and all while shooting it. Everyone that shoots the star more than a few times knows the procedure (whether they make the hits or not is a different story) to shoot a star, even if it is way out there. By forcing people to shoot out of order or try through the soft cover it made for some fun. Had shot something similar in the past where the wall was hard cover (but not real hard cover) and that led to a bunch of reshoots- particularly since you could see through the mesh of the wall. That is why I went with softcover that you could not see through (black construction/dirt fence).

Oh, and for setup- man to I wish! Not that many to help and we have to be shooting just after 9 so that we are cleared from the range by 1PM (usually ends up being 1:30). Someday the new bays will be ready, I hope.

Why the mandatory reload? What is added to the course of fire by specifying a reload between the paper and steel?

The mandatory reload makes the stage legal as a "speed shoot". Otherwise the stage is illegal as a medium course because all targets can be seen and shot from a single location/view.

Why the mandatory reload? What is added to the course of fire by specifying a reload between the paper and steel?

The mandatory reload makes the stage legal as a "speed shoot". Otherwise the stage is illegal as a medium course because all targets can be seen and shot from a single location/view.

I never looked up that particular course of fire, didn't even realize it was in the rulebook.

Learn something everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tim

I stole your stages and sent them to our club and we did “what star” today.

It was well liked.

I liked the mandatory reload, reload shoot 2 rounds then mandatory reload.

We had another stage with the same procedure.

I did not do so well on it though, 2 misses on that mostly hidden star thingy cost me 3rd a reload.

20.02 down 2 points.

Thanks again.

Leonard