Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spinning Cylinder GP100

Flashman

I have a new GP100 and have encountered something odd. When doing a traditional speedloader reload (weak hand holds the cylinder out while the strong hand inserts the speedloader, then close the cylinder with the palm of the weak hand in a slightly upward motion to spin the cylinder a little to help the speedloader disengage if it is hung up on any fully seated cartridges) the cylinder will sometimes continue to spin when seated in the revolver in a clockwise motion without engaging the cylinder latch immediately stopping the cylinder. All of my other revolvers lock at the first indent of the cylinder where the cylinder latch fits into the cylinder stopping all rotation. I have sent gun to Ruger twice and it comes back indicating there is nothing wrong. My other GP100 locks up immediately. I did check two GP100's at a store and both did this but it was more difficult to reproduce than my revolver.

Is this normal or OK? It seems to me the cylinder should lock up immediately.

Edited by Flashman

It has to be spinning pretty fast to have the skip over the cylinder stop. If I try hard I can get the smith to replicate it, but not a fan of spinning the cylinder. There are other remedies for the speedloader sticking on the brass. Make sure there are no burrs on the speedlaoder where the rounds fit. And you can cut them down. :ph34r: later rdd

I just tried spinning the cylinder while closing on my GP100 and 686 SSR, and it does spin beyond the 1st cylinder catch on both. FWIW, I never spin the cylinder while closing, and I've watched a lot of videos of highly experienced shooters and I've never seen anyone "spin while closing".

I have a new GP100 and have encountered something odd. When doing a traditional speedloader reload (weak hand holds the cylinder out while the strong hand inserts the speedloader, then close the cylinder with the palm of the weak hand in a slightly upward motion to spin the cylinder a little to help the speedloader disengage if it is hung up on any fully seated cartridges) the cylinder will sometimes continue to spin when seated in the revolver in a clockwise motion without engaging the cylinder latch immediately stopping the cylinder. All of my other revolvers lock at the first indent of the cylinder where the cylinder latch fits into the cylinder stopping all rotation. I have sent gun to Ruger twice and it comes back indicating there is nothing wrong. My other GP100 locks up immediately. I did check two GP100's at a store and both did this but it was more difficult to reproduce than my revolver.

Is this normal or OK? It seems to me the cylinder should lock up immediately.

Did we discuss this at the steel match?

Ben