Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Heatsink on Barrels

Smokin

I have seen several comments about a heatsink changing the harmonics of the barrel. Is that necessarily bad? There are devices on the market designed to 'tune' the harmonics to improve accuracy. Anything you add or take away from a barrel will probably change the harmonics, but is that always bad? I could certainly understand if you added a heat sink and accuracy suffered that you might want to remove it, but could it not also improve accuracy? Just because a barrel is in the same state it was when it was first manufactured, does that mean the harmonics are optimal for a particular load?

I am by no means an expert, and I have no interest in stirring things up. I am simply seeking information.

Arnie

It's rather anecdotal but the one complaint I have never heard about a JP barrel (heatsink or not) is inaccuracy.

I will bet i will get a sh*tload over me when i post this :cheers:

I own a ctr 02 with 18 and 20 inch upper and also owned a JP 15 in 18 inch ,i had a heatsink on them but took it off because i think the only use is not to keep the barrel cool but for the coolfactor looks off the rifle.

When i keep reading rifle threads on this forum i always see how ''great'' the precision is with the JP barrels.

Well i think accuracy is nice on them but not overwhelming , my best groups with an AR15 i still shot with my 20'' Colt Heavy barrel sporter ,and everey other AR i used out off the box shot the same or almost the same goups as my JP rifles.

The only thing the JP's are much much better at is shooting at high speed and still keep the accuracy respactable at high speed ,butt thats because off the Low mass system and the triggergoup and not on the credits off the barrel.

I even think JP could make better rifles iff the would / could make the barrels even better ,the other parts off the JP rifles are great as they are.