Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xl650 indexing cam/pawl adjustment

How do I adjust the indexing pawl/cam/whatever it's called...the thing on the left side of the press with 2 screws in it. I've read several threads saying to adjust this so the shell plate is nicely moved into place, not snapped in by the ball. I tried to adjust this but there is BARELY any movement at all backwards and forwards, like nothing pretty much. I need to move it forward to help the shell plate rotate more. I already did the bearing mod and clipped the spring, but it still snaps into place.

Phone or e-mail us, and please include your address-we'll mail an alignment tool and instructions. Be aware this adjustment is only for aligning the shellplate over the primer. It has nothing to do with the snapping. That is usually from running the shellplate bolt too loose. How old is your 650?

Phone or e-mail us, and please include your address-we'll mail an alignment tool and instructions. Be aware this adjustment is only for aligning the shellplate over the primer. It has nothing to do with the snapping. That is usually from running the shellplate bolt too loose. How old is your 650?

I bought my xl650 in December last year. Thanks i'll give you guys a call next week. Much appreciated!!!

I just got my brand new 650, is there any other way in reducing the "snapping" aside from what I read here in the forum to cut the detent ball spring half a coil? I did that already and it's still a little bit snappy. Dont' want to cut anymore of the spring. Shellplate is snug and smooth no wobble.

I'm loading for 9 major which gets the case almost filled to the top. What I do now is after I charged the case I place a bullet head on top of the case before indexing it next to the seater die to prevent spills.

thanks...

The current detent spring is weaker than the ones of a few years ago. Lightly grease the underside of the head of the shellplate bolt; this allows you to operate with the bolt tighter.A smooth cycle to the handle helps as well.