Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris 1.5-6X40 Info

02Fatboy

well, it's pretty hard not to fall in love with a Swarovksi

Actually its pretty easy to not fall in love with a second focal plane optic that kicks the $2k pricepoint when there is some great First Focal Plane glass at much more reasonable prices.

The second focal plane is not a big deal to me and it actually is a good thing in some ways. For example the dot on the BRT is 9 moa on 1x allowing faster up close shooting. (its 1.5 moa at 6x) For long range where I would need the bullet drop (past 300) I plan on cranking up to 6x anyway. The Swarovski combines clear glass, great field of view, good day light visible illumination with a bullet drop compensator and it has a 6x on the top end which I know is of debatable value. For me I don't see a need for first focal plane on non precision style rifle scopes. Just my opinion but I think the Swarovski z6i is the best three gun scope going and it seems to be used by a lot of the top shooters.

Pat

Pat,

There is a distinct advantage to a FFP in our game. The disadvantage of second focal plane goes hand in hand with the aforementioned FOV problems when shooting on 6x. IF for example it is advantageous to run a stage at 3x or 4x due to the FOV needed to see the targets without forgetting one. You have to now recalculate the values of your BDC.

So while the Swaro is a good piece of glass having a BDC that changes with each power adjustment and necessitates recalculation on the part of the shooter is at a distinct disadvantage to the same FFP scope which doesn't have any of those downfalls and yet retains all of the advantages.

That is true but with a first focal plane reticle you either have a reticle that is hard to see on 1x or covers too much on higher powers. The Swarovski allows a larger dot on 1x while giving you more precise aiming points on 6x. What scope do you prefer by chance? For me most of the matches I shoot are at 200 yards or less. There is one at the end of the month with targets out to 500 yards but with the range set up we have 6x at 500 yards or 400 yards does not seem to limit the field of view too much. Under 300 yards you don't even need your bullet drop marks. Just hold high on the target at 300 with a 200 yard zero You have more experience at the game than me but I will point out some top shooters prefer the Swarovski, they must feel its a good scope and are not too concerned with the second focal plane issue.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Ok I got my lesson in over magnification at this match. You were right.

Pat

remember when you said this? same thing applies to 1FP vs 2FP. i know you put out a lot of $ for the swaro and its hard to personally find fault with objects like that after the fact, but these words are not passed on here out of meanness or jealousy of possession. they've been learned.

Ok I got my lesson in over magnification at this match. You were right.

Pat

remember when you said this? same thing applies to 1FP vs 2FP. i know you put out a lot of $ for the swaro and its hard to personally find fault with objects like that after the fact, but these words are not passed on here out of meanness or jealousy of possession. they've been learned.

Did not think it was jealousy. I can understand how a first focal plane can be an advantage in some situations. However I feel that a second focal plane scopes ability to enlarge and reduce the reticle is also an advantage. Perhaps I am wrong. But I think of it as the same way why people prefer larger dots on the red dots in their pistols for open vs for their rifles. Anyway no offense was meant and I need to shoot the harder matches you guys have to know exactly what you are talking about. Like I said before some of the top three gunners are using the Swarovski now so they must have a way of dealing with their 2nd focal planes negatives.

2011 Blue Ridge Tac Scope top ten results....

1 HORNER DANIEL (Swarovski Z6i)

2 JOHNSON ROBBY

3 ROMERO ROBERT

4 BERNSKOETTER RUSTIN (Swarovski Z6i)

5 PIATT BRUCE

6 TIELKE JASON

7 BLIZT HENRIK (Swarovski Z6i)

8 PARKER JEREMY (Swarovski Z6i)

9 LAKER KALANI (Swarovski Z6i)

10 GIBSON TRAVIS

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo