Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga-12 Reloading

Good instructions there- Quick question. I don't have a Saiga, but may be interested in one in the future, so if you shoot right handed, how would you do that reload. It is very convenient to shoot left handed with right side charging handles, but most of us can't do it that way. I know that the mag change would be the same, just from the other side, but how about the best way for recharging? Any ideas?

Good instructions there- Quick question. I don't have a Saiga, but may be interested in one in the future, so if you shoot right handed, how would you do that reload. It is very convenient to shoot left handed with right side charging handles, but most of us can't do it that way. I know that the mag change would be the same, just from the other side, but how about the best way for recharging? Any ideas?

You can reach under the gun to rack it, or you can rotate the gun slightly and reach over to rack it. The problem with reaching over is if you have a live round in the chamber it can easily fall back into the action if you do not rack vigorously enough. In general though, try not to shoot empty.

Can you do it if you have full mag??

I download my mags to 9 rounds to make it easier to seat them and my gun feeds more reliably when loaded to 9 + 1 rather than 10 + 1. I've had too many misfeeds with the top shell when loaded to 10 + 1.

This was the first match I've used my Saiga at in 10 months, you'll notice my reloads get better after each subsequent stage.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

• 1 year later...

The R&R magwell and JT magwell solve the issue with the tough loading on a closed bolt.

Good video and all,but not running a magwell and only running 9+1 is a huge disadvantage with all the other guys running coupled mags/extended mags.

I run the JT magwell with the arrendondo mag coupler with 12 rnd. mags and ground bolt to help the top shell from being smashed.

Super fast reloads,and now that open is OPEN..load em up..no 10+1.

Sinistral is right! If your running it to an empty chamber,something went wrong!

Just my. 02

You can reach under the gun to rack it, or you can rotate the gun slightly and reach over to rack it. The problem with reaching over is if you have a live round in the chamber it can easily fall back into the action if you do not rack vigorously enough. In general though, try not to shoot empty.

Reach under to reload, definitely. It's a bit awkward at first, and the larger magazines may get in your way, but it's an easily learned skill. If it helps, rotate the gun clockwise a bit to get a better angle on it; you may already be in that slightly rotated position if you've just done a mag change.

(I got this from a Puzikas AK class, but it works with my Saiga 12.)