Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SethML3602

Here is a good one for discussion i think and am wondering about:

Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor during a course of fire(and the competitor receiving such assistance) may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural penalty for that stage and/or be subject to section 10.6.

Here is the scene: I am shooting a stage and i miss a piece of steel and some random person yells out "You missed a plate" i turn and shoot said plate and finish the course of fire.

Are you telling me that because some guy watching yelled that i missed one i could incur a penalty? that sounds like alot of BS to me. I don't have any control over the people watching. AND the RO has no way of telling if i knew i missed it before or after the person yelled. I can understand if they want to punish the person who yelled but i don't think you can punish the shooter over something that he doesn't have control over I.E. other people yelling.

Maybe i read it wrong but that is what the forums are for i think.

Here is a good one for discussion i think and am wondering about:

Any person providing interference or unauthorized assistance to a competitor during a course of fire(and the competitor receiving such assistance) may, at the discretion of a Range Officer, incur a procedural penalty for that stage and/or be subject to section 10.6.

Here is the scene: I am shooting a stage and i miss a piece of steel and some random person yells out "You missed a plate" i turn and shoot said plate and finish the course of fire.

Are you telling me that because some guy watching yelled that i missed one i could incur a penalty? that sounds like alot of BS to me. I don't have any control over the people watching. AND the RO has no way of telling if i knew i missed it before or after the person yelled. I can understand if they want to punish the person who yelled but i don't think you can punish the shooter over something that he doesn't have control over I.E. other people yelling.

Maybe i read it wrong but that is what the forums are for i think.

I would only penalize the competitor if it was very obvious; if he was halfway through ULASC, and someone yelled "steel", and he looked over, saw steel standing, looked suprised, reloaded, and engaged it, I might penalize him. The added time would probably be worse than taking a mike. If I could determine who yelled I'd try to penalize them.

Random occurrence -- no problem.

Coaching -- penalty....

The difference between the two can be hard to distinguish on occasion, but in reality I see this called very rarely, and usually only when a pattern has been established, i.e. there is recurrence on a subsequent stage...

I got very lucky when I made a mistake at a match a couple of years ago. My first "big" match. Heck, my first match other than a local match, and I got a little caught up in the excitement.

A fellow shooter started his run on a particular stage when he came upon an unpatched target. He stopped and looked at the RO, who said nothing. Not thinking, I blurted out "Keep going!" My fellow shooter resumed his run, and I got a death glare from the RO. Afterwards, I got a lecture from the RO.

My inexperience could well have (probably SHOULD have) cost both me and my friend a procedural.

Lesson learned.