Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dried-out Cigars

Carmoney

So I was just moving a pile of empty (or so I thought!) cigar boxes off a shelf in my office and I noticed one felt a little heavy. I opened it and found a whole row of 10 beautitul Puros Indios No. 2 Especial Maduros hidden under a thin piece of cedar in the bottom of the box. Apparently a couple years ago I put the cigars from that box into my humidor and somehow missed the bottom row. Of course, without proper humidification they are now bone dry and completely ruined.

Man, what a waste.

Nah, they're way past the point of no return. After a couple years of sitting there with no humidification, they're toast. Literally. They're as hard as rocks and snap in half like twigs. I'd be afraid if I tried to light one up, it would burst into flames and singe my eyebrows.

I don't know anything about cigars, but won't they eventually rehydrate after a few (more) years in a good humidor?

Depends. Sometimes dry cigars can be gradually re-humdified so that they are soft again, but if they've been dried to the point that the oils are gone they'll probably burn "hot" and not taste very good.