Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right Bag; Wrong Mag

rfwobbly

I shoot a full-size CZ SP-01. First stage had something like 16 steel (discs and poppers), swingers and a Texas star, so I was going to be sure and bring all 5 mags to the starting box with me. My 5th (standby) mag is the only one with a plastic base, so it's easy to spot in my range bag. I reached the starting box and inserted the plastic based mag on "make ready". First shot was a 'click' so I cleared the gun and 'click'... nothing going on. Quickly look into the receiver and there are my 10 perfect cartridges about 3/4 of an inch below the level of the chamber. :surprise:

Seems that in my rush, I had loaded up a spare mag kept for my 3/4-size CZ P-01 that also happened to be in the range bag. At that point I had no option but to drop the mag, take the time penalty and go on.

Lesson - Don't depend upon the range bag to to have all the right equipment. (Not too much; not too little.) Check it the night before.

Never done that one because all of my guns are full size. The one I would run into if I was not careful is inserting a G34 mag as a barney at MR while shooting Limited, or grabbing one of my non extended G35 mags and trying to use it in my G34 production gun. Not real likely because I only shoot one gun or the other and would hopefully notice that I was trying to put the right bullets into the wrong magazine.