Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nice Day at the Range

DogmaDog

I went to drill with my Marine Reserve unit this past weekend, and we re-qualified with the M16A2 at Ft. Polk, Louisiana.

Had really nice weather, and the range was run smoothly, and I did pretty well given a temp-loaned gun I'd never fired.

I shot a 56 out of 65 possible, and was the company high shooter.

I was a little upset with my 8 out of 10 hits on the 300 yard rapid fire stage, because I called both misses, and they were right on call (so why'd you let the shot go, stupid??? Cool that I called them, though)

I did find that after doing lots of USPSA pistol shooting, and scarcely any rifle shooting for the past 3 years or so, that my shot calling was really good, but my positions have suffered somewhat--becoming less consistent with disuse.

It was really cool on my 4th of 5 offhand shots to see the shot break just below the target, and slightly to the right, and then see the target come back up with a spotter exactly where I called it. Then to come back for the 5th shot, have the patience to wait for the sights to settle, and break a perfect shot, dead center, and know it with certainty.

Also, I did notice some gas blasting out of the rifle and into my eye, from the gap between charging handle and frame (someone was posting about this earlier, somewhere else, yeah?)

Two guys in my platoon also shot, and posted expert scores, and only one Marine "went unq".

A good day at the range!

Semper Fi,

DogmaDog

Sounds like fun!

One thing, though ... it wasn't at the "government's expense" ... it was at the tax payer's expense.

Given that, I think it was a necessary and legitimate use of our money! Good work!