Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do slide & barrel assemblies interchange on the 9 pro & 40?

Gary H.

I have a 9 Pro that I've set up to run in ESP by stippling the frame etc. I'm thinking about buying a new 40 Pro and switching top ends to allow me to run in limited IPSC and use the 9 for production. Will this work mechanically?

I'm pretty sure the frames are identical. The one thing I thought might be different is the ejector, but brownells says the 9/40/357 use the same ejector. Technically, however, using a swapped frame/slide isn't legal in Production or SSP.

I'm pretty sure the frames are identical. The one thing I thought might be different is the ejector, but brownells says the 9/40/357 use the same ejector. Technically, however, using a swapped frame/slide isn't legal in Production or SSP.

Who would know. Good thing about SW MP guns is that they only put the serial # in on the frame.

Yea, I checked my frame this morning and found absolutely nothing which made it caliber specific. Even if I can't shoot SSP or Production, I could still use the 40 slide/barrel on the altered grip for limited. Might even do some slide lightening while I'm at it down the road if I like it or may even buy a 9mm conversion barrel for it and build an open gun..

Yea, I checked my frame this morning and found absolutely nothing which made it caliber specific.

Not quite true, the serial number is caliber specific.

If someone wanted to get downright nasty about it, they could check with S&W and see what caliber that serial number was when it left the factory. Now who is going to do that?

I have a 9 Pro that I've set up to run in ESP by stippling the frame etc. I'm thinking about buying a new 40 Pro and switching top ends to allow me to run in limited IPSC and use the 9 for production. Will this work mechanically?

Should work without any problems.

My FS 9mm and FS 40SW swap and function without any problems.

Steve

Edited by LikesToShoot