Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL being weird

So Pro2inPA and I set up this press the other week so I could get situated and start loading. I've watched a ton of videos, and read all sorts of manuals. So we set up the press to get a basic load dialed in, and it seems to be working well. there is some trouble with the primers, and it seems the powder dump is making little depressions on the case, which in turn is making the bullets not seat and load correctly.

i think i figured out why the press is being weird and mashing cases. it's not making that final like 1/8th in click at the top of the stroke, so it's not lining everything up right. I think this may also happen on the down stroke, too.

So my question is, how do I fix it? I'm hesitant to mess with the timing of everything, but it seems that if I nudge the shell plate that extra little bit at the top, everything lines up and works well.

Btw, the first 100 or so rounds of different loads seemed to work with only 2 problems that we diagnosed, so i'm headed in the right direction and don't want to give up yet!

Please help!!!!

Steve

So my question is, how do I fix it? I'm hesitant to mess with the timing of everything, but it seems that if I nudge the shell plate that extra little bit at the top, everything lines up and works well.

Please help!!!!

Steve

Hello Steve, I've been using the LnL's since starting in reloading and found this mod to smooth out the press

and give more timing adjustment. ...I'm new and it wont let me post links yet. I maybe can PM the link or email.

After the first several hundred or thousand rounds I had to adjust the pawls but have not had to since. What I did was just make a big adjustment (remembering what that is) like a full turn on one of the pawls then seeing what affect that had. If it was moving the plate in the right direction I kept working on that, if it went in the wrong direction then just reset it back that full turn and try the other direction or other pawl.

Mike

Bullets slipping into case after seating:

1) Expander is over expanding the case

2) Case has very thin walls

3) You ran the case in and out of the measure too many times setting the powder charge and the case needs to be resized

Bullets falling out while shellplate indexes:

1) not enough case mouth flare/bell

2) shellplate loose and indexing too forcibly

3) put the bullet on the case after you have visually inspected the powder charge in the case and the ram is starting to move up

• 4 weeks later...

I had a problem with Hornady .45 ACP dies not completly sizing Remington Brass. ( do a web search, this seems to be regular problem) This was more evident when using plated bullets. I was having bullet setback with Rainier plated SWC's. After getting a Redding die set the problem went away. Also the Redding taper crimp die does not deform the plated bullets like the Lee FCD can. Although the redding Competition Dies Set was almost twice the price as the Hornady, it was well worth the investment.