Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Minor Power Choice?

CiDirkona

Topic pretty much says it all.

I'm looking to try some different powders in 9mm Open Minor for USPSA minor and open Steel Challenge. I started with my standard HP38 load (great powder to start with, IMO) but then moved to PowerPistol. At the same velocity, I was surprised how much better the PowerPistol worked the comp compared to HP38. My 9mm major powder choice has lead me to Blue Dot -- which I love the way the gas works the compensator.

Is there another powder I should try? I don't mind being above 125pf as long as the dot moves less. :)

Could I try a much reduced Blue Dot load with a standard OAL (I'm using 1.160 for Major) ? 5.0 gr or so at 1.090?

Thanks!

I'm looking to try some different powders in 9mm Open Minor for USPSA minor and open Steel Challenge. I started with my standard HP38 load (great powder to start with, IMO) but then moved to PowerPistol. At the same velocity, I was surprised how much better the PowerPistol worked the comp compared to HP38. My 9mm major powder choice has lead me to Blue Dot -- which I love the way the gas works the compensator.

Is there another powder I should try? I don't mind being above 125pf as long as the dot moves less. :)

Could I try a much reduced Blue Dot load with a standard OAL (I'm using 1.160 for Major) ? 5.0 gr or so at 1.090?

Thanks!

You should definitely mind being above 125pf for open :D , you go below 125PF at the chrono stage and you are shooting for fun. Your scores don't count.

Blue Dot was my choice for years with my 38SC but I never knew how dirty it was until I tried some other powders.

For 9 minor, look at VV N320. A little pricey but you won't find a better, cleaner, softer powder for some minor loads. I run MG 95 JHP and 4.7 N320 at about 1.078 with FSP and it's like shooting a .22 rimfire. That is a really light steel load and I had to change out the recoil spring down to 6lb to work reliably.

I just found a great Major load with Power Pistol and 147 Zero JHP. Hey...no laughing - I only had 147s and had to get a load together quick. I can't wait to get some 124s and try PP with that.

So, anyway, try some N320, I'm sure you will like it...

Thanks!

You should definitely mind being above 125pf for open :D , you go below 125PF at the chrono stage and you are shooting for fun. Your scores don't count.

I think he's referring to his Steel loads, not USPSA...

Ha, thanks for keeping me on my toes, guys. I meant being well above 125pf -- as in 145pf. If a 145pf load will work my comp more, keep the gun flatter and lighter recoil than a 125pf, I'm good with that too.

Being able to use mixed brass and use it over and over again is a nice bonus to minor loads.

I do plan on working up a ladder test with PowerPistol as well towards Major, so I might find a medium-range load in there that works well.

And as much as I'd like to avoid Vit powders for their wallet-crippling capabilities, Blue Dot doens't go very far when you're using 8 grains at a time, and using WIN cases for major only once doesn't help either. Open Major is just expensive, even when you're doing it as cheap as possible. In minor loads though, it shoot ALOT more of it though, so I'd REALLY like to avoid Vit there too. I refuse to try it for the reason I try not to drive fast cars I can't afford. :devil:

Oooh -- I have some Longshot too. Thanks!

Oh, and should I be loading these powders with a longer OAL or shorter to get the most consistent ignition? With Blue Dot and major, I load it ALL the way out as far as I can get it, should I be doing the same with these slower powders, even at minor charges?

The only reason to load long is for feed issues, not with ignition issues. Loading long will lower pressures inside the case, but at the expense of velocity. You should load to work works in your gun...OAL wise, and adjust your powder charge to that OAL (especially if you go shorter).