Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range report on the STI GP6

Well I took the GP6 to the range this morning. Ammo used was RWS 124 grain and Federal 115 grain ammo.

Out of the box. straight from the shop. No experience with STI till this morning. I was shooting half dollar sized groups. No recoil to speak of. Half dollar groups @ 7&10 yards. Da@n is all I can say. Was very impressed.

• 1 month later...

I finally got my hands on one of these at the last Reliant gun show... EVen though this is Texas, not many places carry STI guns in store stick. It is an interesting polymer gun.

Glad yours works so well

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard good things about the trigger and high grip position that keeps flip to a minimum, but it doesn't seem like many people are shooting them. I' been thinking about getting one and called Dawson and there not stocking them anymore! Does anyone know STI's position on keeping them in production?

Thanks Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard good things about the trigger and high grip position that keeps flip to a minimum, but it doesn't seem like many people are shooting them. I' been thinking about getting one and called Dawson and there not stocking them anymore! Does anyone know STI's position on keeping them in production?

Thanks Rick

STI have shown that they are not shy about cutting ties with suppliers that don't perform, or products that don't sell.

As much as I personally love the gun, if it is not selling for them, it's always possible that they will not continue the contract with Grand Power.

Still, that would be a shame, and frankly were that to occur, STI would have to eat some of the blame. They incorporated the product into thier line up to address the void in production class guns. The GP6 is a great fit for this niche.

Where it has pooped the linen is in aftermarket or factory custom parts. The standard sights on the GP6 are at least as good as a Glocks, but competition shooters want better. Grand Power do make the fiber optic front and Dynamic rear sights (currently on my gun). STI seem to have ignored this and instead pushed the GP6-C.

The C model uses the Elliason rear sight which sucks compared to the Bomar or LPA type. It looks ugly, and I half wonder if it was choosen because existing slides could be milled to fit it, rather than needing to start from new unmilled slides.

In my humble opinion, if STI want this gun to fly, they need to address three key areas.

1) Get a superior rear sight available and a selection of fiber optic front sights.

2) Get the unit cost of the mags down to CZ prices.

3) Have GP make up a factory 5 inch gun with the slide full length to get that front sight out to the end.

The trigger and recoil feel on this gun are superior to the CZ or any striker fired gun. It would be a shame for it to flounder.

Thanks again for the info. Dawson made a front sight, but no adj. rear sight. I'm 54, can't see very well and really need fiber optic front and rear.

I wish I could tell if STI was working on solutions or not.

Still think I'll look for a used 6C.

Thanks,

Rick