Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of trying IDPA and/r USPSA

BBBB

I also suggest that you try IDPA first.

Noting that I have absolutely no intention of delving into IDPA vs USPSA, and that I have nothing but respect and admiration for IDPA shooters, I take issue with the notion that new shooters should necessarily shoot IDPA. My own personal experience tells me that there are different strokes for different folks. I'll stifle the urge to write more.

I recommend trying both and shooting with the group that has the friendliest shooters in your area.

BB

That may be true in principle but a guy with a G36 and 3 6 round mags will have a pretty tough go at it in USPSA, don't you think.

USPSA stages are typically designed in 8-shot arrays. 6-round magazines will make it tough as you are now reloading within the array while standing still vs moving to the next. You may find some guys to loan you some mags as well.

To some other points.....There is nothing wrong with using an un-tucked T-shirt as a concealment garment. I have not noticed it to be anymore inherently dangerous than some other types. Since that is all the gear you have at teh moment I would recommend IDPA since you can go play with what you have and then work from there if you decide to (you know you will, it is like crack :D)

As a new shooter, I started IDPA in December and was lucky enough to shoot every other week. This is the most shooting I have ever done. For some one like you, who has shot consistently for as long as you have, you'd do fine in either. I would say that I agree with shooting IDPA 1st then going USPSA since that was what I did. The stages are shorter in IDPA so it's like a warm up. Since you've read the rule books you already understand these are two different games. The great thing for me was all I needed to go from IDPA to USPSA was get two more mag pouches.

Hope that helps.. From a new shooter perspective.

I haven't had the chance to examine the rules again for IDPA , But for $$$ purposes, wouldn't it be possible to just buy three G30 / G21 mags and a couple of belt mag holders?

I believe all Glock mags are caliber compatible. And it should still meet size requirements.

Also, OWB holster is a needed item if you are going to have fun on a regular basis.

I too am new to this sport. I have never seen an IWB holster being utilized for a match.

Just my .02

Ive been shooting IDPA for 14 years, all with an IWB holster. As long as it's good quality and the holster mouth does not collapse when the gun is withdrawn, IWBs work great.

Unfortunatly, it looks like the G36 is a "slimline" model using singlestack mags. I don't think G21 or G30 mags will fit. You are stuck with 19 rounds in IDPA.

Gringop