Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to stand vs shoot while moving?

kdj

This is one of the most frequent questions I get from students and it seems to purely depend on the ability of the student. For me it is almost always better to be covering ground. It varies depending on difficulty of the targets, distance to move and what you have to do for the rest of the stage. A good practice drill is to work on a 5" or smaller group at 15 yards while moving in different directions. Working on your cadence will help with the smoothness issue.

I used to shoot on the move all the time.. then I met Max & Travis and discovered the value of not-quite-standing-still-and-shooting. That's good too.

Spend a lot of time on the 'devil's triangle' at various distances to see what it takes.. that varies a lot by person and skill level

I'm really happy to see this topic surface again.

I think I understand what Shred means by NQSSAS. :D

Ron and I have been discovering this aspect of the game lately. We both seem to be generally better off keeping some motion as opposed to actually coming to a complete stop. One thing to remember about stopping is inertia. It takes me 3/4 second to get going again if I come to a complete stop. And that's fine and dandy, as long as I have something to shoot while "stopped" that takes about 1 second to accomplish. If there is a 12 yard target, I'll generally stop, but not plant my feet.

Interesting stuff. I'm finding that I'm a real beginner at SOTM.

I'm finding that more and more I'm shooting on the move. It depends on stage setup but if its possible for me I'm moving. I'm getting better at it now, starting to understand how to do it properly.

As someone else pointed out its really not about shooting on the run as much as it is just keeping your feet and momentum moving.

I think this is an individual thing, what might be good for one might not be so good for another.

Flyin40