Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

rimfire safety?

kmca

Is there a rule that says that the safety on a rimfire gun doesn't have to be used? or is it like the laws, i.e. they never tell you what you can do, only what you can't do. I know I've never used it in the World Championships.

Edited by kmca

I don't think I've ever noticed anyone use the safety on rimfires. I've been to the world's too, and haven't ever heard of anyone being penalized or even warned about using the safety on the rimfire event.

• 1 month later...

Is there a rule that says that the safety on a rimfire gun doesn't have to be used? or is it like the laws, i.e. they never tell you what you can do, only what you can't do. I know I've never used it in the World Championships.

I think it falls in the gray area of you can do it if you want to. I know the reason they don't use it and that is so many rimfires have safeties that are not easy to engage/disengage under the pressure of competition. I found the Ruger 22/45 particularly annoying, while the Buckmark is not too bad. You can use it almost as well as a 1911.

I think it falls in the gray area of you can do it if you want to. I know the reason they don't use it and that is so many rimfires have safeties that are not easy to engage/disengage under the pressure of competition. I found the Ruger 22/45 particularly annoying, while the Buckmark is not too bad. You can use it almost as well as a 1911.

My Buckmark's safety is awful. It's not in a bad place, but it sure is stiff. I never use it. (The safety, that is . . . I love my Buckmark!)