Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 .45 Moly Load data

Erik S.

Would anyone be interested in some powder charge/velocity/PF chrono results regarding the combo of 1911 .45 shooting a 200gr Moly SWC over Clays?

I have some good chrono results that might be interesting for folks shooting a similar combo as me. For those that don't have chronos, I'm sure this info will be valuable. Reply if you shoot 200gr Moly SWC over Clays out of a 1911 and don't have a chrono. I'd be happy to write something up but not sure there is a big enough group that shoots that combo that would appreciate it.

My set up is:

STI Trojan 5.0 .45

200gr Billy Bullets moly LSWC

Hodgdon Clays (not international or universal)

Federal 150 primers

I'm sure this data will be useful for anyone shooting a 1911, but I'll take some measurements of my lands and grooves as well as some chamber dims to account for variations others might experience.

The data goes from 3.8gr Clays to 4.2gr

Let me know!

Ok...I've been super busy but I figured I'd better get SOMETHING up here. I'll report ES and SD (as well as exact seating depth) when I get back to my home computer, but here is some starter info:

Climate Variables at time of testing:

Temperature: 81 F

Humidity: 13%

Pressure: 30.15"

Full Sun (so good chrono readings)

Gun Data

STI Trojan 5.0 .45ACP approx 1900-2000 rounds through barrel

Data:

Bullet: 200gr Moly coated LSWC from Billy Bullets

Primer: Federal 150 LPP (blue box)

Powder: Hodgdon Clays (standard Clays) same jug

Case(s): 2x fired Federal brass

3.8gr clays

Average Velocity: 820 FPS

PF: 164

3.9gr clays

Average Velocity: 835

PF: 167

4.0gr clays

Average Velocity: 850

PF: 170

4.1gr clays

Average Velocity: 865

PF: 173

4.2gr clays

Average Velocity: 880

PF: 176

Just as a preliminary, I seat my bullets to about a thumbnail of the "shoulder" is above the rim of the case. This chamber checks to be flush with the hood on the chamber side of my barrel. Like I mentioned, I'll get exact dims later, but IMO the chamber check will give you a better idea of how it might shoot out of YOUR gun since it will be roughly the same distance away from the rifling.

Let me know if I'm leaving out any info. I wrote everything down and have the chrono results downloaded in my computer, so I can repost/edit if needed.

*edit* Oak Hill, I'm also interested in comparing these results to your strait lead data. I haven't ever run straight lead since it's so smokey, but let me know if you have any data!

Also, forgot the accuracy part. 1.5" 5 shot groups at 25yds from a rest.

Edited by Erik S.

Ok quick update on more measurements:

COAL: 1.234" but that doesn't tell much because of bullet variance so use chamber check method for your gun. This is the longest that will fit in my gun.

Bullet diam: 0.452"

Give me a little longer to measure bore diameter for both lands and grooves.

.001" crimp. No setback issues whatsoever and doesn't cut into moly coating. Not a single FTF so far in this gun EVER in almost 2k rounds. Plus I am using LEE seating die so crimping too much can be detrimental since its done while seating bullet.

3.8gr clays

ES:33

SD:13

3.9gr

ES:20

SD:7

4.0gr

ES:20

SD:7

4.1gr

ES:26

SD:10