Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gen 4 17 glock issues

t_kothmann

I have a Gen4 17 Glock with the original recoil spring and have never had a problem. But there are a few things you must do to prevent ftf and fte. Unlike previous Glocks, the new Gen4's have to be broken in a bit. You need to shoot 124gr loads, not the cheap 115gr. You need to follow the instruction manual on properly lubricating the gun before using it the first time. The Gen4's are not like the older models, where you can just take them out of the box and just start blasting away. Break it in like you would for a high quality 1911. Lube it well, fire it some, clean and lube again. Do this during the first 500 rounds or so. I followed this procedure, and have yet to have any problem with mine after a few thousand rounds. I even shoot some really low power spitball loads, and never had a ftf or fte. This is my gun I use for production and ssp divisions, and love it.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Gen4 17 Glock with the original recoil spring and have never had a problem. But there are a few things you must do to prevent ftf and fte. Unlike previous Glocks, the new Gen4's have to be broken in a bit. You need to shoot 124gr loads, not the cheap 115gr. You need to follow the instruction manual on properly lubricating the gun before using it the first time. The Gen4's are not like the older models, where you can just take them out of the box and just start blasting away. Break it in like you would for a high quality 1911. Lube it well, fire it some, clean and lube again. Do this during the first 500 rounds or so. I followed this procedure, and have yet to have any problem with mine after a few thousand rounds. I even shoot some really low power spitball loads, and never had a ftf or fte. This is my gun I use for production and ssp divisions, and love it.

According to Glock there is no new break in period or different lubing requirements for the gen 4 as compared to the pre gen 4's.

If you haven't had problems, you are lucky. Just curious exactly what ammo you are shooting?

I have now put the Glockworx reducing bushing in my G17, and have a 13# ISMI spring in an uncaptured polymer guide rod (for SSP). This has improved the performance considerably, but with match grade ammo, I still have very occasional issues with the gun not going to slide lock with the last round fired from the mag. I am going to start trimming coils off the 13# spring and am ordering an 11# spring to see how that runs. I have to believe that it is just a matter of getting the correct spring matched to the loads, but after what I have tried you start to question whether it is something else.

My friend just got a g17 Gen 4 and called Glock to get the new 02-1 spring and he was told that it is back ordered 4 weeks, and that this is a "major problem"!

Received a Jager Captive steel rod, with a 13# spring installed, in the mail today. I am very hopeful about this setup.

After putting the rod/spring in my glock there was a noticeable difference in the feel of the action. With the original and the "02" recoil springs installed the cocking efforts felt identical to that necessary for my G22.

I haven't been able to shoot it yet but it is Thursday ;)

pics and report by Sunday.

I have the Glockworx reducer bushing and it works perfectly. It is an easy $10 fix for short stroking problems. I have, however, had good luck with the stock 012 spring and minor 40 in my Glock 35.

Just curious, does the gen 4 still bulge the brass ?

The Gen 4 17's never had a problem with bulging brass. That was on the .40's in the earlier ones.

According to Glock there is no new break in period or different lubing requirements for the gen 4 as compared to the pre gen 4's.

Just because they don't admit to it, doesn't mean that it isn't necessary. Glock hasn't even admitted officially there were problems with the recoil springs in the original Gen 4 17's. And the ammo I'm shooting are reloads made with 124gr fmj, over 4gr titegroup. This is a relatively light load, but never had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I consider myself very lucky, I guess. I have about 800 rounds through mine and have had only one stove pipe. I have shot nothing but WWB in mine, because it is the cheapest.

I did notice that the gun would jam after every shot with my son, but worked flawlessly with me. He was definitely limp wristing it, but he can shoot my BHP and SA Ultra Compact with no issues.