Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Perfect 357sig set up

goosedowner

I'm getting ready to start loading sig ammo and I want everyone's option on what your perfect set up would be.

I already have a single stage press and a Redding G-RX die and all my sig brass will get run through that. I'll be loading on a Dillon 550 so I guess what I need is your options on dies and powder. I would love to use VV powders but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

I'm getting ready to start loading sig ammo and I want everyone's option on what your perfect set up would be.

I already have a single stage press and a Redding G-RX die and all my sig brass will get run through that. I'll be loading on a Dillon 550 so I guess what I need is your options on dies and powder. I would love to use VV powders but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Goosedowner,

One thing is 357 sig needs sizing lube because of the bottle neck casing. I found if you resize the base with a 40 cal. nitride sizing die before the 357 sizing you do not need the lube. I know its another step, but easier than messing with the lube. Also make sure the crimp holds the bullet firm to prevent bullet set back. this can be a problem even with factory loads.

Hope this will help.

Canthit

Thanks

I have NEVER seen any need for that G-RX die, to me it is the solution in search of a problem, using the ammo in both the Glocks and Sig. But what you should get, in my view, is the Dillon carbide die. I personally do not recommend the Redding dies - two sets developed streaks on me, so I returned them. Carbide is the way to go, even though it is somewhat pricey - but you get GREAT performance for that extra fifty bucks.

On top of that - always spray your cases with One Shot, it makes the job so much easier.

Loading .357 Sig is actually trivial, in spite of the commonly circulated fears. Setting the sizing die is also easy, just go far enough so the rounds drop easily into chamber. Of course use the bullets designed for the caliber, the common 9mm ones will not work well.

Get from the Midway their one-per-caliber loading manual brochures, they contain the recipes from pretty much all the companies. The loading data is also widely available on line.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=955169

Edited by Foxbat