Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Long Colt

chuckd53

I've been reloading 9s, 40s and 45 acp for about a year. I shoot a lot at an indoor range which does not allow lead bullets, so I've been using Zero and Montana Gold jacketed and Rainier plated, all reasonably proced and with great success. I just got a 45 long colt single action, and want to load for it, as factory ammo is ridiciously expensive. I understand that 45 ACP bullets are .451 diameter and 45 LC are .452. I gan get .452 lead bullets cheaply from a number of sources, but the few .452 jacketed 45 rounds out there are very expensive. Can you load .451 230 gr jacketed round nose in a 45 long colt?

I've been reloading 9s, 40s and 45 acp for about a year. I shoot a lot at an indoor range which does not allow lead bullets, so I've been using Zero and Montana Gold jacketed and Rainier plated, all reasonably proced and with great success. I just got a 45 long colt single action, and want to load for it, as factory ammo is ridiciously expensive. I understand that 45 ACP bullets are .451 diameter and 45 LC are .452. I gan get .452 lead bullets cheaply from a number of sources, but the few .452 jacketed 45 rounds out there are very expensive. Can you load .451 230 gr jacketed round nose in a 45 long colt?

Yes you can. Lots of load data out there for 45 colt. Loads are also dependent on the type of gun. Rugers can handle hotter loads than Colt SAA.

About one-third of the jacketed .45 Colt loads that I have seen (looking at his Hodgdon Reloading Manual) use .451 Diameter bullets. I am sure that if you can find some reloading information on loading the .451 diameter bullets that you have for .45 ACP in a .45 Colt load.