Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need free float tube help!

steviesterno

Hey all,

So I have recently been trying to work on my AR to make it a bit more game friendly. I got a hogue (pretty sure) free float aluminum rifle length tube, but it didn't come with the block or anything else to mount it. Basically, I have no idea what part i need to make it work.

Hogue's website doesn't seem to list anything specific, either, so I'm not sure where to go.

Anybody know about this to help me out?

I'm going to cut my front sight off (cheaper than a low pro ;) ) and put this puppy over it, I hope. No idea how to start though.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm not familiar with the hogue tubes, but most attach to a barrel nut of some sort. There is a lot of info here and on the web, just search it out. I'd call hogue, never dealt with their tech service personally, but I'd reckon it's worth checking there.

The Hogue FF tube uses its own specific barrel nut (as do most FF tubes). At minimum you'll need vise blocks to hold the upper receiver and a wrench to remove/install the barrel nut. If you have many AR shooters around your area chances are that someone already has these tools.

To install the Hogue free float:

Remove the flash hider, front sight and gas tube from your upper receiver

Hold the upper reviver in the appropriate vise blocks and use a barrel nut wrench to remove the factory barrel nut.

Screw on the Hogue barrel nut. Torque the nut to 30-80 ft/lbs (watching to make sure the gas tube slots line up with the hole in the upper receiver).

Screw on the Hogue tube. Clean off the thread and use a couple of drops of blue Loctite to help hold it tight.

Reinstall the front sight and gas tube, and the flash hider.