Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading 200g SWC's in .45 Colt

The_Vigilante

I would like to reload some 200g SWC's in my Ruger Redhawk .45 Colt for plinking. Googled it and didn't come up with much except for a thread on Cast Boolits. I can seat and crimp to the lube groove as discussed on Cast Boolits but that would give me an OAL of around 1.71 which is quite a bit over the 1.60 published max OAL. Or I can seat deeper to about 1/16" shy of the slope like a .45 ACP. If I do this would I still roll crimp it or taper crimp it. I am contemplating using 4.6g Clays for this load. Thanks in advance

The question I have is... how long is the cylinder in your 45 long colt? If the cylinder allows it, load it as long as you can minus about .010" in case the bullet jumps the crimp. I would taper crimp it so that you take out the bell of the mouth of the cases and it just slides into the cylinder. I generally ignore SAAMI Max OAL if the gun I am using will accomodate bullet longer than what SAAMI specifies.

• 1 month later...

Crimp as much as needed..... what I mean is in a revolver you crimp to the point of keeping the bullets from moving. In a revolver they will actually creep forward under recoil and prevent the cylinder from turning. Some trial and error may be involved. Good Luck