Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber Conversion Clarification from RR

Steve Koski

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/7141/Caliber-conversions

A member may replace a barrel of one caliber for one of a different caliber as long as the gun remains safe and functional. This will be legal for all gun models, however if the gun is not in the original factory shipped caliber it will not be legal for SSP division.

Example: A member may replace a Glock 35 barrel (.40 caliber) with a 9mm barrel. This gun would be legal for ESP but not SSP.

Robert Ray

IDPA HQ

As a match director, this kinda stuff bewilders me. Major rule changes are posted on an internet forum as a "clarification," but not included in the email based newsletter I received 2 days ago? I ran my monthly match today and told a shooter his 40 to 9 conversion barrel was not legal...

You just got unlucky and missed the clarification by a week or so. It happens.

The idpaforum.com website is not new, and it was officially adopted by IDPA some months ago. This was announced to all IDPA members in the TJ I believe. IDPA also said that official clarifications will be posted there. There is a section just for this purpose.

As a match director, this kinda stuff bewilders me. Major rule changes are posted on an internet forum as a "clarification," but not included in the email based newsletter I received 2 days ago? I ran my monthly match today and told a shooter his 40 to 9 conversion barrel was not legal...

Was he shooting SSP?

No, ESP I believe. It was also had a threaded muzzle, which, from what I understand, is illegal. Guess I need to get a RR "Clarification" to be sure.

I just don't like the way information is communicated to Match Directors. Same thing with the STI Recoil Master. It's legal, then it's not, then it is again. I guess the Forum is better than nothing, but I would prefer a more direct form of contact. Guess I'll have to check the Forum before my matches to be sure there are no new clarifications...