Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Division

Pollock Joe

Did they know you were shooting 9mm? If not, they could have seen that you were running 10rnds and put you in L10. Make sure they know you were running minor PF. If you have plans and money to buy all the race gear for Limited/L10, go for it....if not, stick with SS. There are more regulations on equipment and it's position on your shooting belt. That can help eliminate the advantage of the "ultra race guys with tons of cash" over the Joe-Blow that's trying to get into the sport.

Don't get me wrong, I want to race some day, but shooting SS for now since I don't have the cash for a race gun. I could be bias to SS, too, since that's what I shoot :D

If your shooting steel challenge the division would only matter if your missing more than 6 times at 5 plates, other than Open or revo of course. I shoot Steel challenge with my SS gear but if you want to get serious with it get a race holster for your 9mm ss and shoot in L10.

I am not using any race equipment so I'll shoot SS until I can upgrade my holster. I wasn't sure if SS was right since it seems like I will have a big advantage over guys shooting .45 and I would not have the capacity to compete in Limited.

They knew I was running a 9mm 1911 with 10 round mags.

How would the misses determine what division I would run in?

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by Pollock Joe

I am not using any race equipment so I'll shoot SS until I can upgrade my holster. I wasn't sure if SS was right since it seems like I will have a big advantage over guys shooting .45 and I would not have the capacity to compete in Limited.

Thanks for all the help.

If you shoot in limited you have 20 round mags so you can miss a lot with out a reload. If your shooting in SS/L10 division you only have 10 round mags, can't miss as much before the reload. Just remember 5 is always faster!

Thanks for all the help.

You will have an advantage over the guys shooting .45. Chances are, they just didn't spend the extra cash for a custom steel challenge build. I would bring it up to the RO and see if he'll change your division.

• 2 weeks later...

run what you brung! I'm working on building a 9mm 1911 for steel, but currently run a 22 1911 open rimfire and a full house 1911 45 or 9mm (if i'm broke that week) and do just fine. It's all about having a good time and beating your friends! :sight: