Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need some measurements on 550 stong mount

KevenW

Can somebody please give me the measurements for the bolt holes on the bottom of a 550 strongmount? I need the side to side and the front to back measurements for the holes where it mounts to the table, not the press. I have an OLD steel desk and it doesn't have any wood in the top at all. It has a formica like top and thick sheet metal underneath. I had to drill a hole through it from underneath just to see if it has any wood in it. The formica looking stuff is very thin, and the metal is right at (CORRECTION) 1/16" thick and the formic stuff is 1/16". It has some channel like metal crossbeams or whatever that run side to side. I'm trying to see how the bolts would line up underneath. I do have a 3/4" piece of berch plywood that I bought to put on top and sand/stain/clearcoat just in case it doesn't have wood. Well sure nuff, it don't. If the metal was thick/strong enough I was just gonna mount it without having to drill a bunch of holes and sand the plywood etc. I'm wondering if maybe i can just put a big of a piece of plywood under neath to spread the pressure if the measurements work out right on the strong mount. Sure would save a lot of work with from putting the plywood on it. I'm gonna mount a vise over at the end of the desk also. I'm sure I'd be way better off to just go ahead with the plywood but man I don't wanna mess with all that really if I can avoid it.... If i use the plywood I'm gonna drill holes from the bottom up and put 3/4" metal screws with washers so that they don't stick through the top of the plywood. Would that be strong enough to hold the plywood down good? I'll put alot of screws around the part where the strong mount and vise will go. Sorry for the long post, just trying to paint a good picture. Thanks!!

Edited by KevenW

9" front to back center to center

10 7/8 side to side center to center

you might try just a piece of plywood under the press with bolts running through the desk and through two pieces of 2x4 underneath.

about how far are people mounting the strongmount from the front edge of their table/desk? I'm gonna try to load sitting I think mostly but can stand too. There is a metal drawer in the middle where your legs go under the desk. I'm gonna mount it there in the center and can take the drawer out but I'll have to use a steel plate because the drawer won't close if i use 2x4 and I need that drawer. Thanks for the measurements Kevin!! I'm gonna go look it over and see what I come up with.

I may be in luck, depending on how far back from the front would be comfortable. It has a metal brace thing in the front and back. The front one goes from the edge back 10 1/2 inches then there is a 9" gap where the metal that the is the top with the formica attached to it the another peice starts and goes to the back. There may just be enough in the "gap" for it to work but I don't know if it'll be too far back. That would put the front of the strongmount 10 1/2" from the front of the desk. I sat in my chair with my legs up inder the desk and put my elbows on the desk like i'd be loading, I think the press may be too high though with the mount. I may have to stand which I think would put it too far back. IF it'll work that channel is 1 1/4 deep so i might could fit a steel plate or a 1x8 or something. I'll have to wait till i get my press I guess and then I should have a better Idea about it all. Thanks again. I'll get it figured out. i think i'll probably need to put the plywood on it. Won't be too big of a deal I don't guess.