Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redoing OAL?

Severian

Can I go back and redo some rounds to decrease the OAL? Here's the deal. I've had some consistent FTF's on a recent batch and have narrowed it down (I believe) to too long OAL.

I've got about 200 rounds that need to be scaled back a bit. From 1.265 to 1.240 or so. Can I run all of these through the last two stages in my Dillon 550 again? Is it okay to adjust the 3rd stage to get the OAl that I want and then run them all through the crimp stage again, too?

BTW, I'm loading 200gr plated SWC over 5.1gr TG for an STI Sentry.

Thank you for the help!

Jeff

I've done it before with plated rainiers. I seated them a bit deeper and then re-crimped.

If you only put a light crimp (which you should have) on them it should be fine.

I would try 5 or 10 and look for copper where the bullet is shaving. Then pull a couple-a-three and see what they look like before doing the whole batch.

I've done it before with plated rainiers. I seated them a bit deeper and then re-crimped.

If you only put a light crimp (which you should have) on them it should be fine.

I would try 5 or 10 and look for copper where the bullet is shaving. Then pull a couple-a-three and see what they look like before doing the whole batch.

Thanks. That's helpful. Yes, there's light crimp on them, so I was hoping the re-do would work. I'll do a few and see what happens.

Jeff

I've done it with jacketed with no problem, but not plated. As the other poster said, it should be doable depending on your crimp. Actually, what I would do in addition to checking crimp dia and looking for shaving is pull a bullet after reseating to make sure you haven't damaged the plating

I would remove those rounds from load development and use them for practice/blasting. You could seat them deeper but you may get leading to remove which is not all that big a problem. Continue with your load development with fresh components. Base your final load selection on the fresh components and blast/practice with your double seated ammo.

• 2 months later...

I've done just that over that past couple of daze...resized from 1.265 to 1.200+ & there doesn't seem to be any problems w/ jacketed RN 230's other than the accuracy has taken a crap!

That would be a problem. Have you pulled apart one of your cartridges to make sure you're not overcrimping into the bullet?

I've done just that over that past couple of daze...resized from 1.265 to 1.200+ & there doesn't seem to be any problems w/ jacketed RN 230's other than the accuracy has taken a crap!

That would be a problem. Have you pulled apart one of your cartridges to make sure you're not overcrimping into the bullet?

No - but I will...right now.

No - but I will...right now.

...& the answer is: YES!

I guess when I resized & didn't bother to take the taper into consideration that it must have really tightened it up. Strange tho, when I checked w/ my elec. calipers the read was right on (.468-.471) but I guess I rolled the inner edge down / in.

In any event thank you - I guess all those rds. will go to the range & not to a match!

Thank you.

Edited by stinsonbeach

Maybe 1.200 is just too short for those bullets and you're getting into a thicker part of the brass? Where on the bullets was the jacket getting indented, cut, or scraped?

Maybe 1.200 is just too short for those bullets and you're getting into a thicker part of the brass? Where on the bullets was the jacket getting indented, cut, or scraped?

indented . . .

What is your best COL?

1.200 is obviously too short & 1.265 is too long.

I want to get as long as possible w/o having feeding problems.

I guess I'll have to check the chamber, but w/ brass being so divergent what good will it do?

Anyway what is your COL?

Thanks.