Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

surefire shot timer sensitivity

Forged1

I don't think it'll work with dry firing. It was designed to be used as a normal shot timer, so it'll only pick up gun shots.

That's what I thought , but I just thought I would ask around to see if it was a case of operator error :) Thanks!

I've never had it successfully pick up dry fire clicks. However, you can make use of the app in dry fire by setting a par time and using that to "sort of" time your draw/shots.

I downloaded to Surefire app a while ago but never used it until a couple weeks ago when the battery in the other timer went dead. The only issue was the somewhat anemic buzzer. I need to get and arm band or belt click for the iphone to make the timer app more usable.

Yeah, when I bought the case for my iphone I never thought I'd use the belt clip that came with it, but it works perfectly in this instance :)

I use it to set up par times while dry firing as well. Haven't tried it with live rounds yet.

I've never had it successfully pick up dry fire clicks. However, you can make use of the app in dry fire by setting a par time and using that to "sort of" time your draw/shots.

I downloaded to Surefire app a while ago but never used it until a couple weeks ago when the battery in the other timer went dead. The only issue was the somewhat anemic buzzer. I need to get and arm band or belt click for the iphone to make the timer app more usable.

Thanks, Good idea I will try it out! Matt

It'll work with dry fire no problem. All you have to do is yell "bam!!" really loud when the hammer drops :). Or as others have said, the par time can be very useful when dryfiring. I like to set the par time at 2 sec and in that time draw, break the shot on a target across the room, perform a reload and "break" another shot. Obviously on the second shot the hammer won't fall because it is already down but it's decent practice nonetheless.

I just upgraded my old iPhone 3 to an iPhone 4 this week. I won't be able to test the Surefire app until this weekend, but I've read in several places online that it doesn't work with iPhone 4. Not too surprising since the app hasn't been updated since July 7, 2009. (helloooo surefire) This app would pick up loud claps and yells indoors in the past, but doesn't seem to with the new phone. I did download one called Free Shot Timer. It seems to pick up a hardy yell so there's hope. One review on iTunes says it's the only timer to work on iPhone 4. Testing this weekend.

The URL is http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/free-shot-timer/id338091445?mt=8

The Surefire Timer doesn't work at all with iPhone 4. "Free Shot Timer" picked up about 1/3 of the shots. Too bad, it was handy to have. There are other non-free timers in the App Store, but I hate spend money not knowing if they really work or not.

• 1 year later...

hate to bring up a dead thread from a year ago. But i had the sensitivity up to 97%. After calibrating the microphone and setting the focus. Once i did that it picked up the dry firing clicks and even the click from my holster. I had my iphone next to me on a table with the microphone point towards the direction of my handgun. Picked up the click perfectly. I found i have a 1.7 second draw using my serpa button holster and sig226 with the double action going. My finger is tired!