Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight tools for SW

mshotwell

OK - then for the rear, you need to get a new windage screw, nut, spring and plunger. The spring and plunger are tiny - they go in a hole in the side of the windage screw head an provide the "clicks" when adjusting the windage. They are very easy to lose when taking the screw out or putting it back in. To remove the windage screw you can either crank it all the way clockwise until the head twists off or unscrew the nut on the left side. For the nut you will need to modify a small screwdriver blade with a notch in the middle to clear the end of the screw. I just use the $1 1/4" hex bits for that. You will need a vise to hold the sight and a second screwdriver for the slot on the right side. With the rear sight tang in the vise to hold it steady, hold the nut on the left while unscrewing the screw on the right (counterclockwise). Often you can reuse the same parts, but sometimes the end of the screw has been staked hard enough that it strips out the threads in the nut. Once the old parts are removed, put the screw in the new rear blade and slide the assembly into the housing from the right. This is where the spring and plunger have to be compressed to fit in. It's very easy to have a small slip and have them go flying into orbit. You will probably never see them again after that. For this operation I take the sight out of the vise and put my hands with the sight into a 2 gallon plastic freezer bag that I can see through. Then when the parts go flying, they are captured by the bag and I have only to pick up the bag and look along the bottom to find them. You can have several do-overs with the same parts this way. Once you get that assembled, screw the nut on the left side. Bring it down to touch, then back off a little bit. If it's too tight you will have a hard time adjusting the windage. Too loose and the sight will have side to side play. Once the nut is properly set, put the sight on a hard surface with the nut facing up and stake the hollow end of the screw with a center punch just enough that the nut cannot unscrew. All done! :cheers: Now wasn't that easy? :rolleyes:

Edited by Toolguy

The SDM sight's are AWESOME, I would go with SDMs rear semi-adjustable sight also. I run there sight's on all of my revolvers. Just give Scoot a call, and he will help you get the right size.

post-24727-056130400 1296971455_thumb.jp

post-24727-062229000 1296971465_thumb.jp

post-24727-023828100 1296971815_thumb.jp

Edited by S&W WHEELNUT