Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using an ak competitively

Glockgrabber

Shoot it. You'll learn to be more proficient with it.

Don't be concerned with winning if you're new to the sport. Have fun, learn, and improve. Then, if you're so inclined, try to win. And if you're not, that's cool too. Just have fun.

As another poster said, it's better than staying home and it's more fun than shooting at paper plates slow-fire. Also, the AK shooter that goes out and learns to run his gun will be better off than an AR-15 safe queen owner.

At my club, I've seen the following rifles get used in 3-gun:

AR-15, AK, SKS, Mini-14, M1A, and M1 Garand. Incidentally, the guy who looked like he was having the most fun and who drew the biggest crowd was the Garand shooter.

I have an SKS with a scout scope mount and a red dot. Shot it on a night shoot at paper with flashlight at bought 50yds. Other than than I couldn't see one target, I did as well as everyone else.

I agree shoot what you got until you can get what you can want/need. You can't buy the experience you'll get. No need to sit at home.

It isn't the rifle for this game due to many factors.

Now if we added mud and water, the AK would be much more competitive.

My Ar's run fine in snow, rain, mud, sand etc. Its just a matter of keeping them properly maintained which is just mostly running them wet. AK's are fun too.

Pat

I would just shoot it! Many of the 3 gun matches that I have shot, did not have many targets over 100 yards.

On another note, at the SHOT show, I was talking to Krebs (of Krebs Custom Guns) at the Leatherwood booth. He showed me an AK in 6.5 Grendel. He was telling me what a great round it was. Unfortunately, we did not talk about the accuracy of the rifle, but I'll bet, coming from Krebs, it would be much improved over the 7.62x39 round. This AK also had the Leatherwood CMR scope mounted to it. For the price, I was quite impressed.

But back to the subject, go out and shoot, and have FUN!

Z