Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bluing Silver Solder

Joe A.

I am attempting to restore a Winchester mod. 1906. It is conceivable that at one time this rifle saw it's better days being used as a gallery gun with a traveling circus. Basically the rifle needed a new barrel. Fitting the new octagonal barrel went as expected with minimal lathe work required to align barrel with the receiver.The problem I have is with what is refereed to as a magazine ring. The barrel came with two dovetails cut into the lower side of the barrel. There two rings,that are fitted into the dovetail slots and the magazine is mounted to the barrel by these rings. My situation is this, one of the rings has a loose fit with the dovetail and I am considering silver soldering the ring to the barrel. In Brownell's catalog there are several listing of silver solder. Anyone who has experience using silver solder I request your advise...one of the listing was for a Premixed Syringe-flux and silver solder paste. Will this product accept bluing?..Do you have an other recommendation?..Thank you for your replies...Joe Andrews

I am attempting to restore a Winchester mod. 1906. It is conceivable that at one time this rifle saw it's better days being used as a gallery gun with a traveling circus. Basically the rifle needed a new barrel. Fitting the new octagonal barrel went as expected with minimal lathe work required to align barrel with the receiver.The problem I have is with what is refereed to as a magazine ring. The barrel came with two dovetails cut into the lower side of the barrel. There two rings,that are fitted into the dovetail slots and the magazine is mounted to the barrel by these rings. My situation is this, one of the rings has a loose fit with the dovetail and I am considering silver soldering the ring to the barrel. In Brownell's catalog there are several listing of silver solder. Anyone who has experience using silver solder I request your advise...one of the listing was for a Premixed Syringe-flux and silver solder paste. Will this product accept bluing?..Do you have an other recommendation?..Thank you for your replies...Joe Andrews

Is there a way to put a blind set screw in the dovetail in the mag ring to tighten it before the mag tube is installed along with GunCats recomendation it may work.

Any thing I ever heard about silver soldering was that it was a real ART.

Silver soldering isn't an art, cleanliness and good flux are necessary. It does not accept bluing. Try mechanical means of tightening dovetail first. If you must silver solder Birchwood Casey Brass Black will cover up the solder..

Dave Schattel

Gentlemen, First off,I wish to thank you for your replies...The loose fit of the offending slot is not excessive yet to anyone of you in my position would not consider it proper. In my posting,I refereed to these slots as dovetails.If look at,how a front sight is installed on a barrel being a true dovetail for discussion sake..Where as these slots on the under side of the barrel are slightly oval and having the same interlocking effect as a dovetail. The magazine ring is placed into the slot and rotated into position.This design prevents the ring from moving to the outer edge of the slot once the ring is in position for the magazine tube to be installed. This interconnecting design is Ingenious in how it locks the magazine ring to barrel. Having a slightly undersized dovetailed section on the base of the ring is giving me a loose fit..The suggested idea of installing a blind set screw pocket in the magazine ring base has it's merit. The thickness of base where this set screw would have to be placed measures .088. Do-able yes,yet compared to silver soldering in effort involved. I fore-see simpler is better approach attitude having it's effect on me. GunCat,I had went to Brownell's site looking at their Silver solder listings and had seen what bluing agents they had too offer..Dave,thanks for the info about the Burchwood Casey Product.Should all else fail to hide the slight silver line between the barrel and ring this gives me an other option...Many thanks for your replies and my best wishes to you from Virginia...Joe Andrews<aircavvietnam@yahoo.com>