Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp NT Brass

TriggerT

I was reloading a bunch of .45 lats night and this morning, and had the joy of running into about 1/2 a dozen NT cases. This is the .45 that some blank-blanking rocket scientist decided to make with a small primer pocket. I think somewhat luckily for me I use a Dillon 550. What would hapen with the down stroke priming on a 1050? I want ot get a 1050 in the future, but I would have to guess that I will have to be extra carefull not to get any of this bastard child brass mixed in. :angry:

Don't you sort your brass after cleaning? When I get home everything gets sorted by caliber, then goes into the tumbler, after cleaning it's sorted again to separate military from commercial brass, and to weed out any berdan primers that might have gotten picked up by accident. A small primer would stand out like a sore thumb in 45 brass.

ok

with the WinClean NT brass on a dillon 1050 the first time you try to run one though you will break the primer roll crimp pin

no harm no foul . . .it's just there to roll out any military crimped brass right?

so after you remove the broken pin and continue,

(my friend who did this never explained just why he continued with out sorting the rest of his brass . . .but he did . . .and his eyebrows did grow back)

the next piece of Win Clean NT to go through will get to the primer swaging station and when you haul down on the big old roller handle and your 1050 faithfully tries to jam a large pistol primer in to a small pistol primer pocket well lets just say the word "BOOM" covers it pretty well.

after the parts stop whizzing by your head from the exploding primer feeding tube and you have rolled up the garage door to let the smoke out and your hearing has returned to a tolerable roar,you then must remove the little plastic primer rod from your garage ceiling, determine just what parts you need to replace, call dillon with credit card in hand.

then you will have plenty of time to sort through all 15 gal. of 45 brass until the replacement parts arrive. :wacko:

thus endth the lesson.

Guest Larry Cazes

I eyeball every single case after they come out of the cleaner for headstamp and split necks. It probably takes me 15-20 minutes per 500 cases and is well worth the effort. It would have caught this problem really quick before it resulted in detonating a primer.