Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

92 fs cracked slide?

triplesinglestack

here we are, w/ a new to me, Beretta, Millenium edition 92fs that I bought from the original owner that had never fired it. I shot about 50 rounds, stripped it and cleaned and lubricated and plan on shooting production for a while when I noticed something peculiar w/the rear of the slide where you can see the back of the firing pin the surrounding area, kind of pear shaped, on the lower left corner there is a bout a 1-2/32" gap, is this normal or is it a crack? I have been cruising all the usual forums and have not found any pictures or info on this, even went to the local gunstore, but they didn't have any Berettas to compare it to. thanks and if someone gives me a e-mail address I would be happy to take a pic and send it there way.......

Jason

It's supposed to be there. Both my Beretta's have a gap in that location.

Firing Pin Channel "Crack":

It was explained that the "crack" originated when some early 92F pistols began cracking in that area. The reason they were cracking is that the safety body is larger on that side of the slide and therefore there is less metal on that side than the other side of the slide, resulting in cracking on some specimens after use. The relief cut, which appears to new users as a crack, was made to transfer the stresses being put on that area of the slide to stronger areas. Pre-FS models (92SB and 92F) don’t have the cut, as production ended on these before the cut was implemented. DAO "D" models also don’t have the cut, because they don’t have any material removed since they don’t have a safety assembly.

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/faq.php?faq=bf_faq_bhandguns#faq_bf_faq_bh_cracked

Edited by jtielke