Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady L-N-L and PPU issues

Irimi

Good Morning,

I have a Hornady LNL Progressive reloader and have reloaded a couple of K worth of .223 and 9mm. The problem I have is that with the PPU stamped brass, I get a bulged primer that never quite comes out (even with adjusting the primer pin deeper). Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Are the primers crimped in? I've had some 9mm with crimped primers that were a right pain to get the old primers out of. If your primer pockets are crimped, this may be a blessing for you, as you really don't want to try to seat a fresh primer without swaging the primer pocket on that brass.

What die are you using? Sometimes polishing the decapping pin will keep the the primer from getting pulled back up into the primer socket during case extraction. Or, you might wanna try chamfering the hole that the spent primer gets pushed down into. My LnL had a small bur that would keep the spent primer from being pushed smoothly down into the hole/tube, chamfering it slightly solved that problem lickety-split.

I had quite a few of the PPU headstamps. It appears they are crimped and lacquered in with some type of sealant or glue.

Had to adjust the de-capper down much farther than normal and then most would pop out but some would just pierce the primer.

I finally gave up and tossed them in the scrap bucket.

Edited by Gatekeeper

What die are you using? I'm running RCBS sizing die and it's kicking them out just fine. Some of the bulged primers don't go into the shell plate very well, but the primers have all come out.

Edited by mscott