Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VLTOR A5 on rifle length gas

serevince

VLTOR A5

I was planning on a Vltor Imod, when I came across the A5. It's a A2 spring on a collapsible stock.

Gun is a 18" barrel with rifle length gas, PWS SM556 brake.

Do you think the A2 length buffer system will produce a softer recoiling more controllable gun?

Any negatives? I like the modstock, I like adjustibility, Rifle length gas and rifle length buffer system seems like they might play well together ;)

Thanks

Vince

I frankly do not know enough to tell you if and/or how much better/worse that would be than standard, but I try and never let ignorance stop me from opening my big mouth.

From the web site:

Specially developed on request from the USMC, the “A5” Combo Kit stock configuration was developed specifically for the future upgrade on the M16A4. If adopted, the newly revamped rifle would be designated as the M16A5.

Since this was designed to a specific spec for a specific issue, the first thing I would ask is what is the issue/problem this is designed to solve. Just because it was designed to solve that problem, doesn't mean it will solve any others or not make them worse. It would appear to be intended to deal with over-gassed systems - which rifle length systems generally are not.

FWIW, I have an EMod stock with a H2 buffer on a lower that gets swapped between a 16" carbine and 18" rifle upper and it works just fine for both. I'm not sure what this would bring to the party that cannot already be addressed with standard components.

It was designed to add a collapsible stock on A2 rifles. As a added bonus it worked on over gassed carbines.

I think that a longer buffer system would create a smoother recoil impulse. I have no data to back that up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The A5 was designed for the USMC to put collapsable stocks on an M16A4. They tested it with other uppers as well and it ran fine. There are several big shooters on M4Carbine.com that say they soften the recoil impulse and some are using them on 18" barrels with rifle gas systems. It's what I plan on getting for my 18" upper.

I've been using carbine buffer systems with rifle gas systems for years, and it works fine. This with a rifle gas system just makes it that much closer to what the operating system was originally designed to do.

A rifle gas system has the lowest pressure

A rifle buffer/spring is the heaviest (generally)

A carbine gas system is the highest pressure

A carbine buffer/spring is the lightest (generally)

Anything to get the total system closer to the original lower pressure gas system and heavier buffer is better IMHO. A carbine will never be less reliable because it has a heavier buffer with its already over gassed system, and a rifle is not going to be less reliable with a lighter buffer/spring.

I've been using carbine buffer systems with rifle gas systems for years, and it works fine. This with a rifle gas system just makes it that much closer to what the operating system was originally designed to do.

A rifle gas system has the lowest pressure

A rifle buffer/spring is the heaviest (generally)

A carbine gas system is the highest pressure

A carbine buffer/spring is the lightest (generally)

Anything to get the total system closer to the original lower pressure gas system and heavier buffer is better IMHO. A carbine will never be less reliable because it has a heavier buffer with its already over gassed system, and a rifle is not going to be less reliable with a lighter buffer/spring.

Cool high speed video of different buffer weights in the vid below.

Edited by serevince