Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smith and Wesson model 10 but not a 38spl

JAB

ok im looking at a Smith and Wesson model 10 but guy tells me its not a 38spl so i take it must be a 38sw can it be changed to a 38spl and would be hard to do anyone know what it might cost

ok im looking at a Smith and Wesson model 10 but guy tells me its not a 38spl so i take it must be a 38sw can it be changed to a 38spl and would be hard to do anyone know what it might cost

I found an OLD Spanish S&W Model 10 in .32-20, a British one in .38/200, and the .357 Model 10-6 became the Model 13. A lot of the .38/200 were re-chambered in .38 Special but rumor has it the chambers were oversized. And of course the original .38 S&W. Good luck!

According to my book on S&W "Standard Catalog of Smith & Weesson":

"New York Police: In 1977 several thousand were chambered in .357 Magnum for the N.Y.S.P. w/4" heavy barrel w/pinned barrel.Predecessor to the Model 13 w/a centerbored cylinder measuring 1.67" in length w/a somewhat flattened top strap and a sandblast blue finish. This varation is fitted w/a smooth .400" comabt trigger and .375" checkered hammer. Fitted w/plain clothes grips. Notched front sight, frame marked 10-6, "357 Magmun" on the barrel. No know police markings."

Hope this helps.

Granderojo

Plus, even if you could find a new cylinder that fit, the bore would be a problem. The .38 Spl is a .358" diameter bullet, and the .38 S&W ran .360"+ So your bullets would be bounced off the tops of the lands on their way downrange.

The chambers of the .38 S&W are shorter but wider, and if you ream them out (as many a knucklehead did, decades ago) you end up with horribly swollen and mangled brass.

Check with the dealer again. If it has a 10, or a 10-(another number) stamped inside the crane, it will in fact, be 38 special or in a few rare cases 357.

If its a "pre" model 10 (made 1958 or earlier), I would not buy it for competition anyway.

YMMV