Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS ChargeMaster

noylj

Just thought I would pass along my thoughts on the ChargeMaster.

I find that my CM is far superior to the Pact dispenser I had previously.

I have read where some people complain that it doesn't dispense consistently. I have never had any issue; however, I do know one thing that frustrates even though I know it shouldn't. The issue is getting an "overcharge." I find that if I am dispensing a 5.5gn load, I get about two charges that read 5.6gn. I know that there is really no issue and that my powder measures are no more consistent, but I see 5.6gn and I want 5.5gn.

In reality, all the normal reloading balances are +/- 0.1 gn. This means that an "actual" weight of 5.46-5.55 gn will read 5.5gn. It also means that an "actual" weight of 5.56-5.65 will read 5.6 gn. Thus, one charge of 5.55gn will read 5.5gn and one charge of 5.56gn will read 5.6gn.

Then, you add the fact that the dispenser has no control over how much powder falls into the pan when it makes the smallest turn. I have seen where it took 4 turns to go from a 5.4 reading to a 5.5 reading and the next time it took 2-3 turns. Thus, each of the smallest turns dispenses somewhere around 0.02-0.06gn per turn. Thus, unless you slowed things down even more, any reading has to be at least +/-0.01gn and could be +/- 0.03gn or slightly more. In fact, the times that it takes more than 3 turns to reach to next higher weight are almost always the ones that read 0.1gn over the target charge. As I said, it is better than a powder measure but I still tend to throw the charge back and wait to get a reading of 5.5gn. Stupid, but human.

The one big benefit to the ChargeMaster over the Pact and old RCBS dispenser are that calibration is not necessary. However, I find that the first charge dispensed with a given powder is always an over charge and is generally 1-2 grains over. Because of this, I always set the first charge for about half of the target charge. This charge is then poured back in the hopper and I input the charge I want and hit "Mem" and "Dispense". This charge is always correct (or that 0.1gn "overcharge"). This has the benefit of the charge count to be right.

When I want to input a higher charge weight, the machine has already dispensed the "old" charge. I just input the new higher charge and hit "Mem" and "Dispense."

I leave it on all the time, though I have never seen any drift or other errors when first turned on, nor have I ever seen any problems with the fluorescent lights or other equipment in my reloading area.

The only thing I could complain about is the plastic pan with a $300 piece of equipment, but the pan does its job just fine.