Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Stop Notch

rhyrlik

Hi,

I just put money down on an E Brown and then learned some of them peen the slie stop notch. not wanting to go through the hassle of sending the gun back and forth, what steps should I take to make sure the slide stop and the magazine are functioning correctly? Is this a soft slide issue? Or is this a slide stop fit/ operation issue?

Thank You in advance.

-R

Until you shoot the pistol enough to see if you have a problem, there is no need to worry. Brown makes fine pistols.

If you must worry, ck the normal keyboard commando sites for things to worry about while your pistol is being built, then you will be prepared to overreact properly if a problem actually surfaces.

Larry

Until you shoot the pistol enough to see if you have a problem, there is no need to worry. Brown makes fine pistols.

If you must worry, ck the normal keyboard commando sites for things to worry about while your pistol is being built, then you will be prepared to overreact properly if a problem actually surfaces.

Larry

lol how fing true.

Brown makes fine pistols, ask me about the Jeff cooper model.

I have had the notch with a bit of peening on several guns....Baers the most, I have that now a little on an STI eagle and have had that on a kimber eclipse. Nothing but blueing wear on the Brown.

There are speculations about soft metal slides etc....If you are hesitating on the brown then order a wilson.

If you shoot it enough you will see little things like that and wear and tear no matter who makes them. Most can be avoided with good mags that push the slide stop all the way up, and a slide stop that is properly shaped and radiused.

I already researched the fanboy sites and noticed all the Browns pictured had peening even with low round counts. I Had a Wilson before, a POS one, and don't want to go there again. I have three Springers, none with any peening whatsoever, and saw this ET at a local store, but don't wanna drop that kind of money on a gun made with soft steel.

Then how do you explain the peening?

The barrel and bushing of my CQB were loosely fitted, like a production Colt. The breechface was rough and mauled the brass upon chambering to the point it would not fit the shellholder when I went to reload it. It had a raised area of metal right near the ejector. I sent it back and they squared the breechface, but now I had .010"+ of clearance between the rear of the barrel extension and the breechface. If you pulled the slide back just ever so slightly, you could move the barrel back and forth. This tells me they recut the breechface too deep and left the same barrel in place. They told me that amount of clearance was normal and did not affect headspace. The gun did not shoot accurately at all.

My Custom Shop Springer has zero clearance between the barrel extension and the breechface. My Baers had near zero clearance there as well.

I understand that when it comes to 1911's, everyone has a different idea as to how they should fit together, but seriously, what kind of moron leaves that much play in that area?