Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Shellplate not moving all the way forward

Since I've had my 650 I am in constant battle with getting primers to seat correctly all the time. I used mixed range brass but 90% of it is Winchester. It goes in cycles, sometimes I hit a hot streak of having 0 problems and times like now. Every third or 4th case won't get a primer. I noticed the shellplate is off just a tiny bit and if I move it forward just a hair, the primer will seat just fine. I've tightened/loosened the shellplate, primer station is clean and aligned and just about everything else I could think of to try and get it move all the way. Thoughts????

Edited by alpha-charlie

I'm assuming you've cleaned everything under the plate and lubricated accordingly?

Check the detent spring - make sure it hasn't become weak. The plate should index pretty closely and the spring/ball makes certain of the alignment. Make sure there's nothing in the detent itself on the shellplate, too. That's the only thing that comes immediately to mind.

Don't laugh, ok laugh, when I got my 650 I had the same problem. I blame that on reading the instructions, the Prime system was supposed to have the small primer wheel in it, as it turned out a week of agony with primers and dinking with it, it had the large primer wheel in it. So just to be sure do you have the correct primer wheel in the press?

Is the shell plate too tight? Back off the bolt 1/8 turn.

To clarify when you miss a primer is it that the shell plate has not hit the detent or are you moving the plate beyond the index detent?

Here are a couple post that might apply.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77641&st=0&p=899368&hl=indexing&fromsearch=1entry899368

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=60479&st=0&p=702785&hl=indexing&fromsearch=1entry702785

Edited by CocoBolo

The shell plate should settle on its correct ending mark with the correct adjustment. When facing the press on the left side is the adjustment for indexing. Moving the triangular shaped piece forward and back controls how far the shellplate moves forward before relying on the momentum to settle it in the correct position. That may help?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming you've cleaned everything under the plate and lubricated accordingly?

Check the detent spring - make sure it hasn't become weak. The plate should index pretty closely and the spring/ball makes certain of the alignment. Make sure there's nothing in the detent itself on the shellplate, too. That's the only thing that comes immediately to mind.

I completely stripped it down and made sure everything was lined up and all bolts were tight. I thoroughly cleaned while doing this. I replaced the spring under the "ball" as I had clipped a coil off of it months ago to solve the powder spillage. I also replaced the return spring as it was stretched out for some reason. I remember doing it a while ago but can't remember why. After all of this it still looked out of alignment and still wouldn't seat primers regularly. I loosened the shell plate just a little more and that seemed to do it. So far so good. Thanks everyone.

Edited by alpha-charlie