Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot USPSA club match with my new gun…

Will B. Droopy

Usually I shoot Production matches with a Tanfoglio 9mm Witness, but this time I decided to go with my Mauser 9mm C-96 that I just fixed up (new springs, trigger job, sight modifications, general tweaks, etc.), as well as (poorly) converting an old Bianchi holster for better competition performance (there are no off-the-shelf USPSA holsters made for the C-96).

All went well during the match, with the exception of my pitiful stripper-clip reloading performance :surprise: . Gotta keep practicing…

-Bill

post-24711-045096800 1294879080_thumb.jp

post-24711-033193700 1294879098_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

How old is that pistol? How accurate is it at 25yds? Did your draw change? lol it looks like a fun pistol!!!!

Hi Amaziah,

The internals are anywhere from 1930 to about 1939. The frame and the barrel are probably from around 1990 or so. (Since my C96 use to be a full auto M712 Mauser, a new semi-auto frame had to be built or it could not be legally imported into the U.S. (why they couldn't just have welded-up the selector switch hole, I have no idea -- but that's BATF rules for you!).

For competition I changed out all of the coil springs (to Wolff), polished the feed-ramp and chamber, modified the magazine (stronger spring, beveling, polishing, etc.), flared the stripper clip slots, rounded certain sharp edges (top of grip frame, ejection port), ground down some of the trigger guard (to better fit my hands), modified the rear sights to a square notch and ground down to shoot POA, epoxy filled the grips for tighter fit to frame, polished sear and hammer, removed metal from under sear to increase engagement with hammer (due to occasional doubling issues that scared the &$@# out of me!).

I am going to the range again on Wednesday to "officially" confirm my groups, as well as the POA, due to my poor performance on the Texas Star this last Sunday. However, when I was sighting in the C-96 in a few weeks ago, it grouped (very "unofficially") at about 3" at 25 yards.

My draw has changed a bit, since I am going from double-action for the first shot with my Witness, to single-action cocked-and-locked with the C96 (frankly, I like the cocked-and-locked much better!).

I have to get back to my Tangfolio, but I'm having so much fun with my Broom, as well as the increased challenge/fun/cool-factor of loading with stripper clips, that it may be quite awhile before I hang-up the C-96! :cheers:

-Bill